KDBUS Might Try Again For Mainline Inclusion With Linux 4.2 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timtas View Post

Not very sound for me, as I don't like/use systemd and prefer to use as much portable software as possible. By kdbussing every utility called in the bootup process, you are automatically restricting your program to Linux-only, as systemd/kdbus are Linux-only. That probably is the main reason for systemdeing/kdbussing everything. After all, RedHat sells Linux, so this runs perfectly fine to their interest, but not to mine.

That also is the reason why so many portable GUI applications move away from gtk to qt, as Redhat steadily makes gnome/gtk dependent on systemd, turning everything into linux-only.
    Timtas you're mixing issues here. GUI applications are moving away from GTK not because of it being linux-only but because they're having better luck with Qt in general. Better theme support, better widget support, fewer bugs, better library support thanks to KDE's efforts in 5.x-- Qt is just becoming the better toolkit. The issues of Linux-only software... Eh. The features are available to us, I really don't see why the developers should tie their hands to lowest common denominator just because similar features aren't available on *BSD.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Working...
    X