Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post

i was responding to the "HAS TO"
    you can have any other bootloader in MBR and grub on a partition, but anaconda apparently does not support other OS-es controlling the MBR

Debian is about choice, so ofc it supports it
    What really matters is getting Fedora (or any other operating system, doesn't have to be a Linux distribution) is that it can sucessfully be booted. Only thing to ensure is to write its bootloader to MBR. Is there any other way? Probably not (correct me if I'm wrong).

It wouldn't make sense for a distributions that also aims for AVG Joe users to ask someone "Would you like for Fedora to modify MBR?". Most people I know and have convinced to use Linux would go "WTF is a MBR?". What if someone chooses no? Fedora support (or any other distro in that matter) would be spammed with "HALP! My system isn't booting".

If there's an expert mode for the installer, it would make sense to add it there, because someone who's using expert mode knows what he's doing.

And Debian only supports it in expert mode as far as I know, mainly because of the same reason or because most users who install Debian know what they are doing.

Comment

I have to admit that it very well hidde, but there is a way not to install Grub in the MBR even with the new Anaconda. When you go the "Installation destion" section, there is a link at the bottom of the page that says "Full disk summary and boot loader...". If you click that you will have the option not to install a boot loader. However, if you do that it's up to you to figure out a way to make your Fedora installation bootable.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post

What really matters is getting Fedora (or any other operating system, doesn't have to be a Linux distribution) is that it can sucessfully be booted. Only thing to ensure is to write its bootloader to MBR. Is there any other way? Probably not (correct me if I'm wrong).
        ofc
        well, idk, maybe UEFI can do it since it itself is an operating system (/s)

but if you already have an OS installed then you don't want another OS to overwrite MBR

like if you have ubuntu and you wanna try fedora in dual-boot
        if you decide you don't want fedora and remove it you have to boot ubuntu from a live cd to reinstall grub, as removing the partition that holds grub.cfg will render your computer un-bootable

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post

fedora is experimental distro, no big news
          FUD. Fedora contrary to some other distributions goes through QA and overall works pretty well, Michael has not started using it as a desktop without reasons.

Fedora 22 looks as a good release, so far no issues with RC3.

Comment

How many people are still using an MBR? On EFI systems there is no need to overwrite the bootloader.

Comment

Originally posted by reub2000 View Post
              How many people are still using an MBR? On EFI systems there is no need to overwrite the bootloader.

Majority of (semi-)servers still can't do EFI properly, either because hw doesn't know about EFI yet (and its fine), or because of software. XEN dom0 (or was it guest?) can't boot in UEFI mode, for example.

Comment

UEFI if anything has caused me nothing but minor inconvenience (and issue with openSUSE) on Linux with no real benefit afaik (I shave maybe a second or two from initial firmware initialization, but once GRUB kicks in, both UEFI and BIOS boot at the same speed).

On another note, what happened to gallium-nine Wine support on F22?

Last edited by Guest; 24 May 2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

What time(GMT) are the iso s released?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post

Majority of (semi-)servers still can't do EFI properly, either because hw doesn't know about EFI yet (and its fine), or because of software. XEN dom0 (or was it guest?) can't boot in UEFI mode, for example.
                    I'm currently looking at a brand new rack full of Intel, HP and Dell servers, and not one of them uses legacy BIOS boot by default *.
                    ... And at least in my experience, Fedora's EFI support is top notch.

- Gilboa
                    * Let alone that fact that trying to boot from 10-200TB GPT RAID in legacy BIOS mode is nearly impossible.
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Working...
                    X