Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 4.0 EXT4 RAID Corruption Bug Has Been Uncovered

Phoronix: The Linux 4.0 EXT4 RAID Corruption Bug Has Been Uncovered

A few days ago we reported on an EXT4 file-system corruption issue being discovered within the stable Linux 4.0 kernel series. The good news is the issue has been uncovered and a patch is available, but it could still be a few days before it starts getting sent out in stable updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It turns out that this "fix" to an issue present since Linux 3.14-rc1 is what's causing the EXT4 RAID corruption problems on Linux 4.0.x. Eric Work has devised a small fix to address the corruption problem"
    By fix, you mean reverting the one-line offending patch?

This isn't a problem for Linux users on distributions like RHEL, Ubuntu, and other fixed-release distributions that don't tend to update major versions of their kernel post-release, but this corruption issue has already become a problem for Arch Linux and other rolling-release distributions with users who quickly jump to new versions of upstream software.
    There's a reason users jump to new versions and use distros like Arch: DRIVERS. Specifically graphic drivers. So, basically, you are implying that one should stick to LTS releases and throw their graphics card through the window? And YOU pretend Linux is ready for the desktop? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      No, the fix moves the one-line patch before a conditional.

Comment

There's a reason users jump to new versions and use distros like Arch: DRIVERS. Specifically graphic drivers. So, basically, you are implying that one should stick to LTS releases and throw their graphics card through the window? And YOU pretend Linux is ready for the desktop? LOL
        Arch Linux has a LTS kernel (and some others) which wouldn't affected by this bug. We Arch Linux users can have a more stable kernel with a still up-to-date app collection.

Comment

only RAID users is affected, rigth?

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post
            Arch Linux has a LTS kernel (and some others) which wouldn't affected by this bug. We Arch Linux users can have a more stable kernel with a still up-to-date app collection.
            Please, tell me how do you get the latest graphics stack updates without updating the kernel? AFAIK you need both mesa and kernel updates for most of the new stuff.

P.S. I have been using Arch for years, don't tell me how it works

Comment

Originally posted by sl1pkn07 View Post
              only RAID users is affected, rigth?
              That is a good question. I don't suppose this bug affect BIOS RAID or true hardware RAID users?

Comment

A friend of mine has a prison pen pal who insists there are other filesystems besides ext4.

Comment

Please, tell me how do you get the latest graphics stack updates without updating the kernel? AFAIK you need both mesa and kernel updates for most of the new stuff.
                  wrong
                  you need both mesa and llvm

Comment

It's true that Ubuntu is not affected, but their 3.16.7-ckt11 stable kernel (maintained by Canonical Kernel Team) backported the bad patch, and the changes from 3.16.7-ckt11 were planned to be pushed to Utopic some day. And 3.19.7 has the patch as well, Vivid was supposed to get the 3.19.7 patches eventually. Not sure about 3.13, maybe that was supposed to get a backport as well.

So if the bug went unnoticed for a few more days, who knows, maybe Utopic and Vivid users would have been affected.

Comment

Working...
                    X