Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Bits Of News From OSCON

Phoronix: Interesting Bits Of News From OSCON

A few (small) interesting tidbits of information to report on from this afternoon's OSCON... - Along with delivering the source-code to Launchpad within the next twelve months, Canonical is working on a number of new Launchpad features. One area that will receive quite a bit of love is with the translations support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

holy crap! one the one hand, i really hate this rumours and speculations but on the other hand, i love it because you're getting the possibility of hope. seems to get interesting. i found this link in another forum: opengl3 and some other features. at least for windows but i'm optimistic

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
      holy crap! one the one hand, i really hate this rumours and speculations but on the other hand, i love it because you're getting the possibility of hope. seems to get interesting. i found this link in another forum: opengl3 and some other features. at least for windows but i'm optimistic
      http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9858/n...soonindex.html
      According the the nvidia slide the 180 drivers will have five new features, 10-bit displayport support, OpenGL 3.0, SLI on multi-monitors, transcoding on the GPU, and some performance 'optimizations' over R177.

Comment

Originally posted by Regenwald View Post
        http://www.tweaktown.com/news/9858/n...soonindex.html
        What we might see out of this:
        OpenGL3.0
        SLI on multi-monitors
        possibly the performance optimizations

So interesting in a general way, except for the news about OpenGL 3 which is awesome!!
        Last edited by dashcloud; 25 July 2008, 06:55 PM. Reason: oh crap- thanks deanjo!

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
          What we might see out of this:
          OpenGL3.0
          SLI on multi-monitors
          possibly the performance optimizations

So interesting in a general way, although absolutely nothing of interest to open-source folks.
          openGL 3.0 is of no interest to open-source folks?

Plus there is no reason to think that encoding support would not be available in linux as,

a) it would more then likely utilize cuda which already is supported in linux
          b) there is already API's for linux to support such GPU assisted transcoding

Plus there is no reason why 10-bit displayport support would be left out as well.
          Last edited by deanjo; 25 July 2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

personally for me everything there is secondary to getting proper 2d to work on my nvidia card, we can then discuss all those other random features which may or may not come to linux any time soon..

Comment

Working...
            X