Creative Tries Again At Linux Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
    Really? I got the Value version of the card (which is basically the same) and it sounds better under Windows (XP) than in Linux with ALSA. I'm no audiophile, but it seems to have much better bass and "richer" sound with the Creative driver.
    it probably does various extremely invasive filters which you like more..

Comment

Originally posted by Redeeman View Post
      it probably does various extremely invasive filters which you like more..
      CMSS is enabled by default I believe under Windows. also I find ALSA and WindowsXP drivers aren't volume matched. at equal volume I find little difference between the two.

The new drivers work... for the most part. I still have a rather aggravating OSS under ALSA issue; cat (wav) > /dev/dsp results in pretty loud screeching instead of the right sound. I hope my tweeter isn't blown. 5.1 sound doesn't work, and dmix results in a bad hiss. Not that there's a reason to use dmix, but it shouldn't be hissing either. There's also been no approval activity on the Creative bugreport page for over a month, but if you look at the RSS feeds, bug reports are still being made.

My modded Elite Pro sounds much better than the Prodigy 7.1 HiFi I had in this box, but I might go back to it because of the killer OSS issue (vmware sound doesn't work).

I haven't seen any emu20k1 code in the alsa repositories, so I'm wondering if it might even be in 1.0.18.
      Last edited by seeker010; 27 June 2008, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
        My modded Elite Pro sounds much better than the Prodigy 7.1 HiFi I had in this box, but I might go back to it because of the killer OSS issue (vmware sound doesn't work).
        VMWare's crappy sound support is well known. There is currently a big push for then to finally adopt a native alsa output and according to their devs is a high priority. Hopefully the final of 6.5 will finally include it.

Comment

Working...
        X