Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux Adds New Kernel Support, Asynchronous I/O

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux Adds New Kernel Support, Asynchronous I/O

A new release of ZFS On Linux is available this week for providing the latest capabilities for this Oracle/Sun ZFS file-system implemented as an out-of-tree, native Linux kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Benchmarks, please

Hello Michael,

I would love to see benchmarks of ZFS on Linux on HDDs. (I don't care about SSDs, I wouldn't use zfs on those, zfs is for huge amounts of storage)

In particular, I want to see the RAID-Z functionality benchmarked and compared to the similar RAID functionality in mdadm (with xfs, btrfs, maybe also ext4) and the btrfs native RAID5 functionality, which should be getting more stable in the latest kernels. I also want to see single HDD comparisons between zfs, btrfs, ext4, and xfs. I don't really care about other filesystems.

P.S: I bought phoronix premium just to see this happen.

Comment

Hi Michael:

I subscribed Phoronix Premium to see if you can do
      • AIO comparison among file systems
      • Performance differences between RAIDZ and RAIDZ2
      • Effect of difference ashift & record size
      • Effect of separated log device on SSD

Thanks!

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: ZFS On Linux Adds New Kernel Support, Asynchronous I/O

A new release of ZFS On Linux is available this week for providing the latest capabilities for this Oracle/Sun ZFS file-system implemented as an out-of-tree, native Linux kernel driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...On-Linux-0.6.4

Comment

Async I/O is a nice improvement but what I really would like to see is improved zvol performance. I run a windows virtual machine using zvols on my mirrored zfs pool but performance is unfortunately it's very sluggish.

Comment

Originally posted by Staffan View Post
          Async I/O is a nice improvement but what I really would like to see is improved zvol performance. I run a windows virtual machine using zvols on my mirrored zfs pool but performance is unfortunately it's very sluggish.
          Hi, you can try using larger block size (64,128k or larger, 1M) when creating zvols and/or see if sync=off helps for non-production VMs, while utilizing snapshots for keeping state. Also transparent compression can be turned on on zvols, too, that improves disk speed in VM.
          I have also found that iSCSI exported zvols works much better to me, so you can try using it with iSCSI in VMs.
          I used to use illumos based Openindiana with Virtualbox (one can make .vmdk that points to zvol directly or iSCSI exported)

Comment

Working...
          X