Vivaldi Browser Decides To Support 32-Bit Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Yeah right, coz open source code auto-ports itself to different architectures. Oh wait, it doesn't, it's ported by... developers.
    Properly written code will run on all platforms. And usually porting open source code is trivial. E.g. I tried to compile kde partition manager on ARM and it just worked, I didn't have to do any porting.

Comment

Yeah right, coz open source code auto-ports itself to different architectures. Oh wait, it doesn't, it's ported by... developers.
      Worst case scenario for a minor fraction of all apps (if at all):
      Adapt some typedefs of some fundamental types with some compile flags.
      Disable rare platform specific stuff like SSSE.
      Time effort: Typing the appropriate compile command.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
        You have just demonstrated that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
          Properly written code will run on all platforms. And usually porting open source code is trivial. E.g. I tried to compile kde partition manager on ARM and it just worked, I didn't have to do any porting.
          Geez, you guys are unbelievable. What you're saying is basically "it's so easy to compile something that's already been ported". Call it "properly written code" if you want, that doesn't change the fact that the developer had to take time to make it compile properly on different platforms. You can run GCC and build stuff? Great, I'm happy for you, but that won't entitle you to talk nonsense like this.

Comment

The reason is that it supports Linux. Or should Phoronix stop the articles about Steam as well?

It's really amusing when Linux fanboys cry about the big evil companies not supporting Linux, but when they're stupid enough to do so, then you again do nothing else but complain. Right, coz every software company is a charity and they all should give away all code for you, otherwise they can go to hell. That's EXACTLY how this world works. Right?
            ++

as an example: take PDF-XChange Editor (or: Viewer)

kindly post the name of the opensource alternative with that ease of use, productivity and stability under Linux

I'd gladly switch over anytime to it

Oh - what are you saying ? I can't hear you !

Nothing ?

Well the argument is invalid then, I guess

Comment

You have just demonstrated that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
              I am doing this for about 25 years now. I am pretty sure i do know what i am talking about. These are no "ports", i call this minor adaptations.
              Your arguments opened my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                Yeah, but have you ever ported a native Win32 GUI app to Linux? Things quickly change when non cross-platform libraries are used. I've written cross platform software, and they were as easy to port as you describe, but only because it was planned ahead and suitable cross-platform libraries were chosen from day one of development.

Most games are trivial to port to Linux because games typically implement the GUI internally (DX/GL), and the only interaction with the OS is keyboard/mouse input (ideally SDL), file system (trivial to port) and graphics output (OpenGL). But things do get hairy when GUI software is not using wxWidgets/Qt/GTK.

So a truthful answer would be: "it depends".
                Last edited by Remdul; 17 February 2015, 08:51 PM.

Comment

We don't need another web browser. What we need is some hefty backing for Palemoon.
                  Screw this closed source crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
                    Yeah, but have you ever ported a native Win32 GUI app to Linux? Things quickly change when non cross-platform libraries are used. I've written cross platform software, and they were as easy to port as you describe, but only because it was planned ahead and suitable cross-platform libraries were chosen from day one of development.

Most games are trivial to port to Linux because games typically implement the GUI internally (DX/GL), and the only interaction with the OS is keyboard/mouse input (ideally SDL), file system (trivial to port) and graphics output (OpenGL). But things do get hairy when GUI software is not using wxWidgets/Qt/GTK.

So a truthful answer would be: "it depends".
                    The discussion is about Vivaldi Linux x86 to Vivaldi arm. And the article is about Vivaldi.
                    But whatever, if it were opensource, there were "support" for arm/x86 32bit as wel 64bit.
                    Whatever.

Comment

Working...
                    X