Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS Gets A Few Fixes For Linux 3.20

Phoronix: F2FS Gets A Few Fixes For Linux 3.20

F2FS remains a very promising open-source file-system for targeting flash-based storage on Linux, though for Linux 3.20 the changes aren't too exciting...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I mentioned previously that I got it working as a root filesystem on Debian Jessie without too much extra fiddling. The missing piece is a recent enough version of initramfs-tools, which I grabbed from Sid. fsck.f2fs currently does not like the
    filesystem being mounted at all so this latest version of initramfs-tools is needed as it checks the filesystem before mounting.

Comment

Many people messing with their Android phones already run it.
      Sounds like it is a really bad idea, based on that they have to fix even some of the most basic things!

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
        Many people messing with their Android phones already run it.
        Sounds like it is a really bad idea, based on that they have to fix even some of the most basic things!
        This filesystem was created as Samsung's excuse for TERRIBLE hardware quality, and trying to blame it on the filesystem. Now to save face by maintaining the charade, they're forced into working on this useless/pointless f2fs.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          This filesystem was created as Samsung's excuse for TERRIBLE hardware quality, and trying to blame it on the filesystem. Now to save face by maintaining the charade, they're forced into working on this useless/pointless f2fs.
          Usually I was under the impression their hardware is mediocre and their software terrible.
          Either way I prefer a FS that has been stable and reliable for years (including a journal), a phone or a PC that were a little bit faster but suddently lost the OS partition are not really useful.

Comment

When are we going to see Windows and OS X drivers for it? In 10 years or soon?

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
              Usually I was under the impression their hardware is mediocre and their software terrible.
              Either way I prefer a FS that has been stable and reliable for years (including a journal), a phone or a PC that were a little bit faster but suddently lost the OS partition are not really useful.
              I would say their hardware is quite nice, and software is mediocre, but I don't like them for other reasons.
              I am using f2fs for a while on my original (2012) Nexus 7. I think I have noticed that ext4 performance drops rapidly after fresh format. It is fast rigth after format, but after month of moderate usage device starts to lags drastically.
              This looks much better with f2fs. Right after format device feels like completely new, and different, faster one. That is compared with System which run ext4 for few month at least (I would get the same feeling always after running the google script for flash of factory image, but it doesn't last as just mentioned.). Difference is that I haven't noticed such drastic drop in performance after few month of usage. Though all this could have different causes combined with placebo...

Comment

Spoke a little too soon, just experienced some minor corruption with unicode filenames on a Jessie system. This problem has already been fixed upstream but Jessie will need a kernel and/or fsck.f2fs update. It doesn't matter much for the system I'm using it on as it only affected some of the CA certificates so I'll just live with it for now.

Comment

Working...
                X