Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 3.19 Kernel Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux 3.19 Kernel Released

    Phoronix: Linux 3.19 Kernel Released

    The Linux 3.19 kernel is now officially available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ernel-Released

  • #2
    Ah nice!
    Now it is time for a Kaveri system. Or better to wait for successors that might emerge during spring? Either way I am looking forward to run this kernel soon.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      Ah nice!
      Now it is time for a Kaveri system. Or better to wait for successors that might emerge during spring? Either way I am looking forward to run this kernel soon.
      Carrizo should be just around the corner. And being based on Excavator cores it is indeed a completely new chip. Kaveri has steamroller cores.
      Odds are Carrizo will be signifigantly better than Kaveri.

      Last I heard Carrizo is due ~ Q2

      Comment


      • #4
        hmmmm I can't find much to get excited about this time :/

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by geearf View Post
          hmmmm I can't find much to get excited about this time :/
          You call btrfs raid5/6 nothing?

          I think I will switch to btrfs for my new laptop, starting with 3.20. I will also probably switch to btrfs raid 5 in my production server starting from 3.21/3.22.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Will AMDKFD bring more changes than "just" HSA?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Will AMDKFD bring more changes than "just" HSA?
              As far as I understand, AMDKFD is just HSA. AMD will also release AMDGPU later (though they are pretty overdue with that part).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                Carrizo should be just around the corner. And being based on Excavator cores it is indeed a completely new chip. Kaveri has steamroller cores.
                Odds are Carrizo will be signifigantly better than Kaveri.

                Last I heard Carrizo is due ~ Q2
                My impression is that Excavator is the last of the Bulldozer family. Bulldozer -> Piledriver -> Steamroller -> Excavator I would expect Carrizo to be better than Kaveri, but I would expect it to be another incremental bump as has been happening all along. I've seen indications that there is an entirely new core in development, but that will be post-Excavator.

                I built a Kaveri system this past fall, anticipating HSA support. Since then I've seen indications that the HSA support in Carrizo might be much better than Kaveri, and also that Carrizo might fit in a Kaveri socket. Who knows, I may actually do a CPU upgrade in the next year.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by phred14 View Post
                  My impression is that Excavator is the last of the Bulldozer family. Bulldozer -> Piledriver -> Steamroller -> Excavator I would expect Carrizo to be better than Kaveri, but I would expect it to be another incremental bump as has been happening all along. I've seen indications that there is an entirely new core in development, but that will be post-Excavator.

                  I built a Kaveri system this past fall, anticipating HSA support. Since then I've seen indications that the HSA support in Carrizo might be much better than Kaveri, and also that Carrizo might fit in a Kaveri socket. Who knows, I may actually do a CPU upgrade in the next year.

                  Hmm...AFAIK Carrizo is only coming to mobile platforms and what stationary is getting is the "Kaveri refresh" called: "Godavari", that basically is only reclock of Kaveri. See here:

                  http://techreport.com/news/27740/rep...uly-time-frame

                  Anyways, AMD is planning release of ZEN, their next generation CPU on Q3 2016. It will use 14nm technology.... So hopefully they can do some catching up

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    After listening to Linus' talk about not breaking userspace, I'm wondering why they don't just make Linux 4.0 a backwards breaking kernel. It is not like they are not still maintaining the 2.6.39? series for a really long time, and it is really easy to run KVM nowadays to virtualize legacy kernels if you need them. Just perpetually maintain the last 3.x kernel for those who can't update their software if 4.x breaks it.

                    I'm just not a fan of how the kernel devs are now forsaking security and sanity to maintain backwards compatibility forever. It is going to turn into a mess like Windows if you never break userspace, and that is what major version numbers are for - breaking changes. Maybe they could use some every now and then, I don't know of a single software project that does not.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X