Vivaldi Browser Downloaded More Than 400k Times So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried it, but..

I ended up uninstalling it. I did not like the UI and it didn't provide any advantages over what I currently get from Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
      To me that is just another click-bait from Michael
      Well then feel free to open up Qhoronix and pay for everything yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by hoohoo View Post
        The color scheme is hideous though, and the edges of the browser window should have some visual effect like a border. Vivaldi sharing a screen with a bunch of xterms... I could not see where the browser ended and a stacked xterm started. The tabs are white are separated by very narrow columns of pixels which are almost white (0xFFAAFF IIRC), so it's really hard to tell where to click.

Vivaldi really needs the ability to for user to control the UI colors.

I know this may sound like nit picking. However if I have to stare at a program's windows to find it's UI elements then it is hard to use.
        The colours seems to be related to the webpage your viewing, go to www.phoronix.com and the top & tab appear green for me, go to www.bluesnews.com and they appear blue. Idea is cool but not sure if its workable in the long run

Comment

The colours seems to be related to the webpage your viewing, go to www.phoronix.com and the top & tab appear green for me, go to www.bluesnews.com and they appear blue. Idea is cool but not sure if its workable in the long run
          Yeah, you're right. I did not notice that as I only looked at Vivaldi.net using vivaldi. Still, it just changes the toolbar and active tab color. I still think the UI needs more work.

Comment

I feel like that's a cute aesthetic for the desktop, such as the area around an icon in the taskbar taking the color of the icon, like what Windows and some DEs do. For a primary portion of the UI, though, it sounds a bit obnoxious. That's something that I'd personally want to set as a permanent value instead of changing per website.

Comment

I don't see that mail as poaching, its informing someone that there is another web browser which will have regular updates and they would appreciate his support. They not buying him out, offering him stuff or anything.

To me that is just another click-bait from Michael
              That quoted email was about the main topic and not the open source developer poaching.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Do not trust proprietary software. NSA have relationships with proprietary ISV worldwide.
                Integralism is pointless, even when is related to good things like the open source sw.

I learned to trust more Opera (the real one I mean, not Opium) rather than somewhat fake open source projects like Mozilla or Chromium.

Looking at vivaldi I'm worried more about something put in the engine by google (and maybe unnoticed by the community) rather than the supposed proprietary additions, made by a person with a crystal clear history like Jon von Tetzchner and his team.

That said, nowadays the main evil is not anymore in the browser itself but rather in the contents.

The browser war, intended as the one in act at the end of last millennium, is well over, and people who not understand it are like the Japanese soldiers stranded on a island and looking at the wrong enemy.
                Last edited by The Solutor; 06 February 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X