No announcement yet.

Vivaldi Browser Downloaded More Than 400k Times So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of rendering newsgroup-apps or webmail-apps over browser is really dumb I really hate it, I hate that I cant write here with a real newsreader.

But except of course of the wrong technical implementation with html and css and shit browsers all suck, but in this wrong world they do all kind of nearly best its possible. so we have them vasted trillion of dollars from google and other companies to make em good enough for such simple tasks to display text and some pictures and seldom some videos. (where also real video players are better than flash/html5 players).

But that just as side notes. why the hell would I install in a world with good free opensource browsers would I switch back to a proprietary one?

I get it that people use proprietary software where no free alternative or the free software is really bad. But enprison yourself to have 2% more browsing speed and a few minimal gui improvements that you will get on the other browser as addon shurely in 2 weeks...

gosh people care 0% about their freedom. So total police state is ok because everybody gives in for free.

Comment

NSA

Do not trust proprietary software. NSA have relationships with proprietary ISV worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by orzel View Post
        "I did hear from a developer from a niche open-source project about attempting to be poached by Vivaldi."

What does this mean ? "poached" is kinda weird for non-american people .. ?

This not really useful : http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/poached
        (or is it?)
        use a real dictionary.

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

verb (used without object)
        to trespass, especially on another's game preserve, in order to steal animals or to hunt.
        to take game or fish illegally.
        (of land) to become broken up or slushy by being trampled.
        (in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) to play a ball hit into the territory of one's partner that is properly the partner's ball to play.
        Informal. to cheat in a game or contest.
        verb (used with object)
        to trespass on (private property), especially in order to hunt or fish.
        to steal (game or fish) from another's property.
        to take without permission and use as one's own:
        "to poach ideas; a staff poached from other companies."
        to break or tear up by trampling.
        to mix with water and reduce to a uniform consistency, as clay.

Comment

"I did hear from a developer from a niche open-source project about attempting to be poached by Vivaldi."

What does this mean ? "poached" is kinda weird for non-american people .. ?

This not really useful : http://www.wordreference.com/enfr/poached
          (or is it?)
          Poached is often used in ways like "taking something by force" or "claiming something that should be left alone". That doesn't mean this is the proper or official definition of the word, but people use it that way anyway. It's basically an exaggeration, like how people say "omg I'm literally going to die" when what they really mean is "this is really uncomfortable".

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Poached is often used in ways like "taking something by force" or "claiming something that should be left alone". That doesn't mean this is the proper or official definition of the word, but people use it that way anyway. It's basically an exaggeration, like how people say "omg I'm literally going to die" when what they really mean is "this is really uncomfortable".
            Ok, thanks. But then in this context... the dev was asked to stop working on his own browser ? Was asked to come and work for vivaldi ? Was being said bad things ?

Comment

Ok, thanks. But then in this context... the dev was asked to stop working on his own browser ? Was asked to come and work for vivaldi ? Was being said bad things ?
              Depends on how you look at it. For example, when MS or Facebook buys out a company, people see that as a bad thing since you're taking an independent developer and all their motives and then trashing them in place for corporate greed, which usually ends up in a worse customer experience. In cases where FOSS devs are brought to another project, that can be a bad thing because they could be valuable contributors to a project people care about.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Meanwhile, Fifth has been downloaded almost 3k times (SF.net), plus the unknown amount by distro packaging. Clearly I need to prepare a press release comparing that number to the number of penguins in Finland or something.
                1 609 Downloads (This Week) for Otter Browser, 48 854 total (just sf.net, excluding distros, BSD systems, other ports and file sharing sites).
                Lets make browsers, not wars. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  What open source browser(s) do you use? What part of old-Opera/Vivaldi are they missing?
                  Firefox as my main browser and Chromium for Javascript debug or when I want to open a browser quickly (Firefox is set to remember my last session which usually have hundreds of tabs).

What I'm missing is the Ubuntu HUD like feature. I use HUD fairly often but neither Firefox nor Chromium provides an app menu that fits the HUD use case very good.

Comment

I don't see that mail as poaching, its informing someone that there is another web browser which will have regular updates and they would appreciate his support. They not buying him out, offering him stuff or anything.

To me that is just another click-bait from Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Xilanaz View Post
                      To me that is just another click-bait from Michael
                      It's not, trust me. :-)
                      But wording is relative, lets say that there will be no further details.

Comment

Working...
                      X