Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
    Fuck Oracle.

But considering that libvirt based solutions don't work for me (something about permissions), VirtualBox is still my #1 choice.
    usermod -a -G libvirt yourusername

After reboot should work

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      What's up with the command line phobia? It's strange hearing it on phoronix forums.
      Not afraid of the command line, sick of using it. We are in 2015 now. Servers are obviously command line but desktops? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
        Not afraid of the command line, sick of using it. We are in 2015 now. Servers are obviously command line but desktops? No thanks.
        Needless to say, I disagree.

Of course you can feel free to use whatever software you want to use, so it's all good. A desktop without a good command line is something pretty close to worthless in IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          Needless to say, I disagree.

Of course you can feel free to use whatever software you want to use, so it's all good. A desktop without a good command line is something pretty close to worthless in IMO.
          What I mean is that having a good command line is important, but objectively its going to be more efficient to manager for a user on a well done UI for a lot of things, particularly virtualization. I think VMware does it right, and we should take notes. That said I like what bhyve does when it uses the same console on FreeBSD without having to launch another terminal instance or connect in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            What does QuickTime have to do with virtualization?
            Why do you keep asking this?

Comment

After reboot should work
              Reboot isn't even necessary. Logout login should do it.

Comment

What I mean is that having a good command line is important, but objectively its going to be more efficient to manager for a user on a well done UI for a lot of things, particularly virtualization. I think VMware does it right, and we should take notes. That said I like what bhyve does when it uses the same console on FreeBSD without having to launch another terminal instance or connect in any way.
                I do like VMWare. I use it quite a bit when I'm working. I wouldn't call it lite, but it does work very well. And VMWare actually cares about quality control, which is the best thing about it. I haven't tried using any of the BSDs in a while, so i don't know anything about bhyve. But, since you mentioned it, I googled it, and it sounds like it's pretty lite. Just the kind of app I like.

Thanks for the info. It's something worthwhile to look into.

Comment

Hah, nested virtualisation reminds me of the go-to way of running certain Xbox emulators: you run a 32-bit Windows VM (even on Windows, because WOW64 doesn't cut it), on which you run an Xbox emulator, and one of the few things that Xbox emulators can emulate is... UltraXLE, an N64 emulator. So that's Host -> 32-bit Windows -> Xbox -> N64. Yeap.

Of course, nowadays you're probably better off with xqemu

Comment

After reboot should work
                    That's not a universal answer, mind you. For instance, the group is called 'libvirtd' in Ubuntu, IIRC. In Arch, one actually has to create the group first (as it's not created by the package scripts at install time), then add $user to said group and, lastly, create a polkit rule to allow users belonging to said group to manage virtual machines. I think the same procedure applies to Fedora, as I have libvirt installed (along with all the other packages that the "Virtualization" group provides/pulls in), but don't have a 'libvirt' group on my system. Then again, I don't really mind entering root user's password when launching virt-manager as it keeps others from messing with my VMs.

Comment

I still have all my VMs in Vbox exclusively for the GPU acceleration support. That, and the GTK only UI for KVM is still a cumbersome mess considering you have to manually set up a bunch of permissions. Vbox still has a fantastc Qt interface after all these years.

At the end of the day, if I'm running servers or anything important in a vm, its in a container anyway. I use VMs to test out other distros and show them off to other people (and I used to use them to run Windows, albeit I haven't touched those in over half a year now). That requires GPU acceleration.

I think the next major innovation in this space will be a Gallium backend for GPU paravirtualization. So you can either forward Mesa shaders through a knowledgeable pipe, or share the GPU hardware. Surprised the AMD guys aren't working on it, it seems like it would have a lot of market utility for their business partners driving the FOSS development in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                      X