Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does VirtualBox VM Have Much A Future Left?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #71
    Like the other former software teams at Sun Microsystems, once being acquired by Oracle, things started going downhill.
    That's what I was thinking when reading the headline. Fork it like the other projects. Oracle doesn't like open source software and we don't like oracle. Needless to say that no matter how big a company is, you can and should stop using their software if you are not short-sighted and care about open source software.

    Comment


    • #72
      Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Fuck Oracle.

      But considering that libvirt based solutions don't work for me (something about permissions), VirtualBox is still my #1 choice.
      usermod -a -G libvirt yourusername

      After reboot should work

      Comment


      • #73
        Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        What's up with the command line phobia? It's strange hearing it on phoronix forums.
        Not afraid of the command line, sick of using it. We are in 2015 now. Servers are obviously command line but desktops? No thanks.

        Comment


        • #74
          Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          Not afraid of the command line, sick of using it. We are in 2015 now. Servers are obviously command line but desktops? No thanks.
          Needless to say, I disagree.

          Of course you can feel free to use whatever software you want to use, so it's all good. A desktop without a good command line is something pretty close to worthless in IMO.

          Comment


          • #75
            Originally posted by duby229 View Post
            Needless to say, I disagree.

            Of course you can feel free to use whatever software you want to use, so it's all good. A desktop without a good command line is something pretty close to worthless in IMO.
            What I mean is that having a good command line is important, but objectively its going to be more efficient to manager for a user on a well done UI for a lot of things, particularly virtualization. I think VMware does it right, and we should take notes. That said I like what bhyve does when it uses the same console on FreeBSD without having to launch another terminal instance or connect in any way.

            Comment


            • #76
              Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
              What does QuickTime have to do with virtualization?
              Why do you keep asking this?

              Comment


              • #77
                Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                usermod -a -G libvirt yourusername

                After reboot should work
                Reboot isn't even necessary. Logout login should do it.

                Comment


                • #78
                  Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                  What I mean is that having a good command line is important, but objectively its going to be more efficient to manager for a user on a well done UI for a lot of things, particularly virtualization. I think VMware does it right, and we should take notes. That said I like what bhyve does when it uses the same console on FreeBSD without having to launch another terminal instance or connect in any way.
                  I do like VMWare. I use it quite a bit when I'm working. I wouldn't call it lite, but it does work very well. And VMWare actually cares about quality control, which is the best thing about it. I haven't tried using any of the BSDs in a while, so i don't know anything about bhyve. But, since you mentioned it, I googled it, and it sounds like it's pretty lite. Just the kind of app I like.

                  Thanks for the info. It's something worthwhile to look into.

                  Comment


                  • #79
                    Hah, nested virtualisation reminds me of the go-to way of running certain Xbox emulators: you run a 32-bit Windows VM (even on Windows, because WOW64 doesn't cut it), on which you run an Xbox emulator, and one of the few things that Xbox emulators can emulate is... UltraXLE, an N64 emulator. So that's Host -> 32-bit Windows -> Xbox -> N64. Yeap.

                    Of course, nowadays you're probably better off with xqemu

                    Comment


                    • #80
                      Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                      usermod -a -G libvirt yourusername

                      After reboot should work
                      That's not a universal answer, mind you. For instance, the group is called 'libvirtd' in Ubuntu, IIRC. In Arch, one actually has to create the group first (as it's not created by the package scripts at install time), then add $user to said group and, lastly, create a polkit rule to allow users belonging to said group to manage virtual machines. I think the same procedure applies to Fedora, as I have libvirt installed (along with all the other packages that the "Virtualization" group provides/pulls in), but don't have a 'libvirt' group on my system. Then again, I don't really mind entering root user's password when launching virt-manager as it keeps others from messing with my VMs.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X