Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TraceFS: The Newest Linux File-System

Phoronix: TraceFS: The Newest Linux File-System

Steven Rostedt sent out the announcement today for TraceFS, a new file-system for the Linux kernel tracing subsystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So many different kinds of filesystems now, I get confused. What's the difference between Ext4/XFS/Btrfs, OverlayFS, and TraceFS/debugfs?

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
      So many different kinds of filesystems now, I get confused. What's the difference between Ext4/XFS/Btrfs, OverlayFS, and TraceFS/debugfs?
      Hi mate, some are real disk drives file systems (for HDD or SDD). Some are virtual filesystems, in essence they are contained entirely in RAM, and serve a purpose. /proc is such system.

Comment

Generally, you can find on root (/) a file system like Ext4, XFS or other.
        But on /proc, it is proc file system, on /sys it is sysfs, and on /tmp it is /tmpfs. And you can find DebugFS on /sys/kernel/debug.

I love the possibility to mount a file system in another.

Get a try of command 'mount' without arguments.
        Last edited by TumultuousUnicorn; 21 January 2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

In Unix, everything is a file - except the network interfaces, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
            Not quite sure where you are coming from there network interfaces are represented as files as well... as is your graphics card, sound card ad infinitum...

Comment

Originally posted by phred14 View Post
              Glendix tried to port the Plan9 /net to Linux. Unfortunately the project stalled. It would be cool if in the future everything really became a file Plan9-style (including IPC, network, "sockets" ...)

Comment

Admins, servers... How about a robust, unbloated, modern file system for home users?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                  Admins, servers... How about a robust, unbloated, modern file system for home users?
                  hmm modern but not bloaded is kind of the opposite

but ext4 and xfs are more modern than apples or microsofts filesystem and at least same robust and unbloatet...

Comment

Working...
                  X