Linux 3.18 Kernel Released, But It Doesn't Fix That Odd Regression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.18 Kernel Released, But It Doesn't Fix That Odd Regression

Phoronix: Linux 3.18 Kernel Released, But It Doesn't Fix That Odd Regression

As anticipated, Linus Torvalds officially released the Linux 3.18 kernel this Sunday evening...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cheers

edit: ah that one came in there, good to know - 32bit kernels again should be usable with radeon

drm/radeon: Ignore RADEON_GEM_GTT_WC on 32-bit x86

Comment

And what happened to the filesystem performance regressions?

Comment

8 hours later

and still no problem with kernel 3.18, games are working very well, good system performance
        and low power consume.

using ubuntu 14.04.1 with kernel 3.18.0 mesa 10.3 gcc 4.9

Comment

Has anyone tried xawtv with 3.18?

I'm concerned about this bug:

Comment

How the odd regression affects system?

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              How the odd regression affects system?
              It locks up.

(Mind you, it seems to trigger for like one person in the world, so...)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                It locks up.

Make that two persons. I experience it as well ever since 3.16 (currently on 3.18 and it doesn't lock up as frequent anymore as on 3.16, but it still happens).

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  It locks up.

Using a syscall fuzzer, so making random nonsensical system-calls in fast succesion just in an attempt to expose bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                    Make that two persons. I experience it as well ever since 3.16 (currently on 3.18 and it doesn't lock up as frequent anymore as on 3.16, but it still happens).
                    I get the lockup issue too, but it's pretty hard to trigger (usually takes gaming for 1hr+).
                    With 3.16 my uptime reached 28 days (longest i've gone with 3.16.x) before it triggered, trying 3.18 I triggered it in 2 days.
                    I'm wondering if it could be related to the drm/graphics stuff. I can't remember triggering it just using the desktop without flash videos in FF.
                    Last edited by Soul_keeper; 09 December 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X