Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nasty Lockup Issue Still Being Investigated For Linux 3.18

Phoronix: Nasty Lockup Issue Still Being Investigated For Linux 3.18

When Linux 3.18-rc6 was released last Sunday, Linus Torvalds noted in the release announcement that a "a big unknown worry in a regression" remained. Nearly one week later, kernel developers are still figuring out what's going on with this regression that can cause frequent lockups. Worse off, it looks like it might affect the Linux 3.17 kernel too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Okay, I'm glad I've stayed at 3.14 for now... Mmmmmm pie....

Comment

what hardware does this effect?
      i have been using the latest for a while now on my laptop, have have yet to see a single lockup
      i don't use my laptop every day...

Comment

How is such a lockup noticed?
        Does it just get stuck or print a certain kernel panic?
        Having the occasional panic here, but it might be GPU related.

Comment

Originally posted by user82 View Post
          How is such a lockup noticed?
          Does it just get stuck or print a certain kernel panic?
          Having the occasional panic here, but it might be GPU related.
          I skimmed through the thread and as far as I can tell it's related to Xen.

I'm on 3.17.4 and I've been abusing it (for work not for testing) and never had a problem with it.

Whatever they are doing to trigger the freeze doesn't involve normal desktop usage, wine nor multiple qemu VMs with different versions of windows / *BSD.

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post

I'm on 3.17.4 and I've been abusing it (for work not for testing) and never had a problem with it.

Whatever they are doing to trigger the freeze doesn't involve normal desktop usage, wine nor multiple qemu VMs with different versions of windows / *BSD.
            Thanks. Will send kind regards to my GPU

Comment

Actually, I'm quite amazed this doesn't happen even more often. So kudos to the kernel devs for keeping up the good work.

Every once and a while it's good to have a all hands on deck bug hunt, just look what happened recently after "Heartbleed" and "Shellshock", dozens of other serious bugs were found. Perhaps an annual bug hunt is in order?

Comment

looks to me like it's memory related, so I'd hazard unless you're running alot of memory intensive shit that you won't trigger the bug...

I wonder if many linux servers are experiencing this problem, but then I'd expect to see postings/bug reports somewhere before this, so it might just be a memory intensive very specific application bug... sounds like it's going to be tedious to track down too...

Comment

Originally posted by oneofone View Post

Same here.
                  3.17.2 under *very* high load (~80% CPU usage on a 48 core machine w/ ~3000 processes and 300+GB RSS) for weeks now, with no issues. *knocks wood*.

- Gilboa
                  Last edited by gilboa; 30 November 2014, 02:30 PM.
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

F is for failure

Thought this mess was fixed back in 2011.,.,.,.,.

Abandon all hope and jump ship. FREEBSD!!!!

Seriously quality control?

Comment

Working...
                    X