Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDDM Is The Recommended Display Manager Of KDE Plasma 5

Phoronix: SDDM Is The Recommended Display Manager Of KDE Plasma 5

For those wondering about display/log-in managers for KDE's Plasma 5, KDM was dropped...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Both Kubuntu and Lubuntu will likely ship SDDM by default. Quite interesting, I hope it will be compatible with nvidia-prime, which at the very moment only works with LightDM.

Comment

SDDM has contributors across many projects including the KDE team. It was decided a long time ago that SDDM would replace KDM. SDDM has a much cleaner code base and while it is not at feature parity, it is maturing well.

Comment

Cool. I'm actually using SDDM in my netbook (LXQt), and LightDM on my main Plasma 5 machine (because SDDM wasn't in the repositories when I switched). I guess with the release of openSUSE 13.2, I'll switch to SDDM here as well.

Comment

XDMCP

So... if XDMCP support has been dropped, how do we do thin clients hanging off of a server? XDMCP use to be the way this was done back in the day. Without it how would this be accomplished?

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
            So... if XDMCP support has been dropped, how do we do thin clients hanging off of a server? XDMCP use to be the way this was done back in the day. Without it how would this be accomplished?
            From the blog, since no one will probably read it:

Originally posted by davidedmundson
            To clarify, even though KDM is "dropped" that simply means we won't make new releases, it's not like we're going round to existing users and uninstalling it from their machines or removing the archives of tarballs.

As for your comment, it's a good question, which I'll counter with:
            In a wayland world, how are we going to do thin clients? Honestly, I don't know. I doubt it will be XDMCP in it's current form, and realistically we're not going to write a lot of code knowing it will be pretty soon redundant.

What LightDM does which is really simple yet also really clever is have a "remote session" option that logs into a sandboxed temporary guest user and open VNC/RDP client full screen. I can imagine us adopting something similar as that's quite versatile, but nothing concrete.

Comment

Realy BAD: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/173
              logind(systemd) depend!!!

Comment

logind is a part of the systemd project, not a hard dependency on the whole thing, sorry the developers decided to use a library you don't like. Feel free to fix that bug yourself and contribute / maintain consolekit code for all of, what, one? distro (Gentoo?) that will not be using logind.

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                  Realy BAD: https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/173
                  logind(systemd) depend!!!
                  Extremely BAD!
                  linux(kernel) depend!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Extremely BAD!
                    linux(kernel) depend!!!!!!
                    Terraextremelydooper bad, it's anti-moron dependent!

systemd trolls are just as bad as religious trolls, shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

Comment

Working...
                    X