Systemd Works On PPPoE Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lysius View Post
    I'm still waiting for the audio player in systemd. That way I can play the startup jingle without having to wait for the desktop environment!
    systemd-pulseaudiod?

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post
      And to piss off the rest of the readers who enjoy systemd, Since its now by default on debian and the rest of the popular linux based operating systems, I think its actually time to make yet ANOTHER fork to debian, only to avoid systemd.
      Why would that piss us off? We are walking in the sun my friend. The birds are chirping and the bees buzz around the flowers. Our systems get a much needed overhaul in the plumbing. Our Linux is now post Unix. No more chasing taillights, Linux has become the taillights.

But forking Debian into a non-systemd distribution. Now there is an idea I like. (Or take a BSD for that matter and push it forward.) It is time that all the vitriolic, time wasting talk on fora made way for blood, sweat and tears in a new distribution that walks the walk. The creation of a 21st century non-systemd Linux (or BSD) distro could be an interesting project. Come up with that modern system that has state of the art, highly modular and interchangeable low level plumbing. Show the systemd proponents that they are going down the wrong path.

Although I suspect an actual fork would become a matter of just freezing Debian anno 1 January 2013 and a slow fade into an irrelevant niche thing. All the backlash so far has decried systemd as unneeded and the previous solutions (barely maintained plumbing glued together with shell scripts) as amply sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
        Im still waiting for my print server and torrent client, get into the line!!
        Scarily enough I can see both landing in systemd someday.

Print server is an obvious one. Every windows machine can function as one, and so it's clearly good for systemd as well.

As to torrent client -- think about offloading package distribution from mirror servers..

Nothing is too crazy, clearly.

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
          The thread being: Desktop

SytemD + Desktop = A good idea

In my world, SystemD(eath) + Server = time spent figuring out why things don't boot the way I want/need them
          I guess the "D" stands for distro but they're not yet ready to go public with the announcement. :P

SystemD: Our D on your System.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
            You're kind of an idiot.
            because he correctly stated that a router is kind of a server?

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post

And to piss off the rest of the readers who enjoy systemd, Since its now by default on debian and the rest of the popular linux based operating systems, I think its actually time to make yet ANOTHER fork to debian, only to avoid systemd.
              With some goodwill is possible to keep the distro of our choice untainted, w/o forking anything.

Personally I'm an Arch Linux user, and I've never messed my distro with systemd.

It's easier than expected to run it using open-rc.

And (if you want) is really easy to keep both the init systems installed and to switch back and forth from a system to the other, just with a bootloader command.
              Last edited by The Solutor; 04 November 2014, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                Mhhh althought it does not replace wpa_supplicant, it replaces (imho in a much better way) dhclient/dhcpcd.
                I migrated all of my computers to sd-networkd last week and I am frankly impressed, the link comes up much faster than with dhcpcd/dhclient and the config is brain-dead easy. Also it plays nicely with wpa_supplicant so it can be used without problems on a laptop.
                I am quite interested as to why this is so. What makes networkd so special that it can negotiate a lease so much faster than dhclient?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                  I am quite interested as to why this is so. What makes networkd so special that it can negotiate a lease so much faster than dhclient?
                  Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                    As for systemd-networkd it's not about to replace something rather it fills a gap. It's primarily aimed at managing networking inside containers. All the other network daemons like NetworkManager are huge and bloated (NM is bigger than all of systemd combined probably) and are designed for desktop interactivity.
                    So your definition of bloated is based on the fact it has a GUI?

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
                      So your definition of bloated is based on the fact it has a GUI?
                      For the problems that networkd is trying to solve, it is in fact bloated, bloated to all hell. They want the container booted and networked in as few ms as possible, if you use NetworkManager you're going to be adding at least a magnitude more than that. NetworkManager routinely takes 700 to 900ms to start on my system.

So yes, surprise! A daemon explicitly designed to solve desktop user problems doesn't work well on the server.

Comment

Working...
                      X