Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Solutor View Post
    I can't wait.

When the photo editor and antivirus functions will be integreted in systemd ?
    As we say on slashdot, mod parent up!

Comment

I can't wait.

when you will need photo editor to boot with root on nfs behind pppoe

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        when you will need photo editor to boot with root on nfs behind pppoe
        Yeah, more or less the same need I have to use all other systemd functions.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          NM has grown a whole bunch of server oriented features including bridging etc and hardly desktop specific anymore. Having said that, systemd-networkd doesn't have any wifi capabilities yet. So one is not a complete replacement for another.
          You are right but it feels to me like the interactivity with NM is still desktop oriented through GUI frontends. I tried nm-cli, didn't like it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            will fedora installer finally support pppoe ?
            systemd-networkd isn't used in Fedora by default and Anaconda doesn't use it either. So that will have to be entirely different RFE

Comment

Notice The Thread Of Discussions

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              I'm sure there will be someone crying foul about the continued systemD package gobbling practices but it aint gonna be me.
              The thread being: Desktop

SytemD + Desktop = A good idea

In my world, SystemD(eath) + Server = time spent figuring out why things don't boot the way I want/need them

NetworkManager on a server? Not in my world. PPoE on a server? Nope, let the "router jocks" handle that. Booting faster on my servers? Nice, but booting consistently is more important.

Does that mean I spend lots of hours making things boot a certain way on my servers? Yes, because that is what I need...every time a server boots it has to work and come up as expected.

Servers don't move around. Even in virtualized space, servers move within the same subnet, unless you do some serious fiddling. Consistency is paramount for servers, even if virtualized.

Desktops, in the form of laptops, can and do move around. Desktops on most home ISP links are likely on dynamic IPs. So SystemD and everything it is merging makes sense there.

Like I said, notice the thread in these discussions...Desktop. Now consider this: Windows has been doing this better and longer than Linux. Just sayin...but you can go read it yourself.

As for the comment made about underlying Linux functions coming together under SystemD. I said it before, here and elsewhere, and I will say it again. Once SystemD amalgamates/merges all the underlying "bits & bobs" of Linux, Desktop distributions will be little different other than wallpapers, skins, apps packaging, and support plans. Now that sounds all too much like the Windows OEM world. Go think about it, especially if you came to Linux from the Windows world.

Comment

Yeah, more or less the same need I have to use all other systemd functions.
                there are multitude of things you don't need, but nobody cares about you and progress is not going to stop

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
                  PPoE on a server? Nope, let the "router jocks" handle that.
                  router is a kind of server
                  Booting faster on my servers? Nice, but booting consistently is more important.
                  i.e. without broken shell scripts, but with systemd
                  SystemD
                  you fail even at spelling, this explains all your difficulties with reading and understanding docs

Comment

Comment

I can't wait.

Im still waiting for my print server and torrent client, get into the line!!

Comment

Working...
                      X