Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs On 4 x Intel SSDs In RAID 0/1/5/6/10

Phoronix: Btrfs On 4 x Intel SSDs In RAID 0/1/5/6/10

Earlier this month I published Btrfs RAID benchmarks on two HDDs but as some more interesting results are now Btrfs RAID file-system benchmarks when testing the next-generation Linux file-system across four Intel Series 530 solid-state drives. All RAID levels supported by the Btrfs file-system were benchmarked atop Ubuntu 14.10 with the Linux 3.18-rc1 kernel: RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10 levels along with testing a Btrfs single SSD setup and a Btrfs file-system linearly spanning all four drives.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please also test ZFS on Solaris 11.2/FreeBSD/Linux

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Btrfs On 4 x Intel SSDs In RAID 0/1/5/6/10

Earlier this month I published Btrfs RAID benchmarks on two HDDs but as some more interesting results are now Btrfs RAID file-system benchmarks when testing the next-generation Linux file-system across four Intel Series 530 solid-state drives. All RAID levels supported by the Btrfs file-system were benchmarked atop Ubuntu 14.10 with the Linux 3.18-rc1 kernel: RAID 0, 1, 5, 6, and 10 levels along with testing a Btrfs single SSD setup and a Btrfs file-system linearly spanning all four drives.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=21104
    Hello,

with such nice setup it's really a pity not to test ZFS on Solaris 11.2, FreeBSD 10.x and Linux, don't you think? :-)

Thanks!
    Karel

Comment

The comparison "Btrfs single + mdraid lvl X" vs "the same raid level in btrfs alone" would be interesting. Especially, since you can change the stripe size in mdraid -- in btrfs it's fixed to 64k AFAIK.

Comment

Thanks for these tests, Michael.
        There were some very interesting (nonlinear) results.
        Is love to see two things added in future tests: mdadm raid for comparison, and CPU usage.
        The scalability of btrfs should be improving, especially now that it's developers are working at a place where they have easy access to absolutely monstrous arrays.

Comment

Originally posted by kgardas View Post
          Hello,

with such nice setup it's really a pity not to test ZFS on Solaris 11.2, FreeBSD 10.x and Linux, don't you think? :-)

Thanks!
          Karel
          Likely too much work without multiple premium users and/or donaters requesting such tests.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I have been using a RAID 5 for quite some time now on 3 HDD drives (3 1TB seagate black).

I started with 1 black, 1 blue and 1 green (all 1TB), and then replace the blue and the green for 2 black and all went fine. The system had already suffered some forced power offs and the array was completely recovered without any loss (that I notived) and I think RAID on Btrfs (even 5/6) is pretty solid.

Comment

RAID 5/6 is still considered experimental for Btrfs but in the few days I've been running those configurations I haven't encountered any problems.
              That's because you're testing performance under normal conditions, not reliability under abnormal conditions. The purpose of RAID 5/6 resiliency, and it's not fit for purpose there yet. A single disk failure can take down the whole array, making it not much better than RAID 0 in its current state.

Comment

Why are the RAID 1 reads so slow? You've got 4 sources you can read from that can be farmed out. RAID 0 and NON-RAID seems to be farming it out to the multiple sources.

Comment

Originally posted by mufasa72 View Post
                  Why are the RAID 1 reads so slow? You've got 4 sources you can read from that can be farmed out. RAID 0 and NON-RAID seems to be farming it out to the multiple sources.
                  Probably because the btrfs code doesn't yet farm it out in RAID 1 cases, even though it should. Might be worth filing a bug report in case someone else hasn't already.

Comment

Originally posted by gigaplex View Post
                    Probably because the btrfs code doesn't yet farm it out in RAID 1 cases, even though it should. Might be worth filing a bug report in case someone else hasn't already.
                    Then again I'm not sure how non-RAID sequential reads are significantly faster than single disk, as if it's actually a linear span like Michael claimed, it won't have multiple sources to read from.

Comment

Working...
                    X