Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU's Data Recovery Tool Updated With New Options

Phoronix: GNU's Data Recovery Tool Updated With New Options

GNU ddrescue, an open-source data recovery tool that copies data from one file / block device to another while rescuing the good portions of data in case of read errors, is out with a new version...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTgwNjA

One of those tools you hope you never have to use, but when you need it, it's great. Had a 120gb hard drive that crashed, it had a 100gb partition (rest was free for a future windows install that never happened), I was able use ddrescue to recover all but ~1mb in 3 or 4 days.

Had a lot of luck, but the tool helped a lot. Kudos to the authors.

Comment

I've saved several laptop drives with it. Excellent tool.

Comment

Sounds nice but the GPL3 license pretty much makes it impossible to use. I prefer testdisk. While it's GPL, it's the older version 2.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Sounds nice but the GPL3 license pretty much makes it impossible to use. I prefer testdisk. While it's GPL, it's the older version 2.
          What are you talking about? ddrescue is easy to use. You can install it from a package, download the source and build it yourself, or use it from a live distro like Ubuntu Rescue Remix or SystemRescueCD.

And testdisk is in no way a replacement for ddrescue. Two different functionalities.

Comment

Working...
          X