Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU's Data Recovery Tool Updated With New Options

Phoronix: GNU's Data Recovery Tool Updated With New Options

GNU ddrescue, an open-source data recovery tool that copies data from one file / block device to another while rescuing the good portions of data in case of read errors, is out with a new version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One of those tools you hope you never have to use, but when you need it, it's great. Had a 120gb hard drive that crashed, it had a 100gb partition (rest was free for a future windows install that never happened), I was able use ddrescue to recover all but ~1mb in 3 or 4 days.

Had a lot of luck, but the tool helped a lot. Kudos to the authors.

Comment

I've saved several laptop drives with it. Excellent tool.

Comment

Sounds nice but the GPL3 license pretty much makes it impossible to use. I prefer testdisk. While it's GPL, it's the older version 2.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Sounds nice but the GPL3 license pretty much makes it impossible to use. I prefer testdisk. While it's GPL, it's the older version 2.
          What are you talking about? ddrescue is easy to use. You can install it from a package, download the source and build it yourself, or use it from a live distro like Ubuntu Rescue Remix or SystemRescueCD.

And testdisk is in no way a replacement for ddrescue. Two different functionalities.

Comment

Working...
          X