No announcement yet.

Linux 3.17 Kernel Released With Many Great Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to the final version from 3.17 rc7. Works great. No problems so far.

Are there any differences between de rc7 and final version of this kernel?

Comment

I find myself wondering, not very hopefully, whether the RTL8192 driver bug that's been there since kernel 3.10 or thereabouts has finally been tackled. If it's been in there this long, it must be fairly tricky to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
        I find myself wondering, not very hopefully, whether the RTL8192 driver bug that's been there since kernel 3.10 or thereabouts has finally been tackled. If it's been in there this long, it must be fairly tricky to fix.
        Based on my past experience with broken Linux wifi drivers, it seems it?s just one unpaid (grumpy) guy who?s taking care of them. And there is no bugtracker.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

I use 3.17 on both my netbook and desktop because it fixes driver issues on both, using ubuntu 14.04.
          Just curious, did you compile from source or download the utopic unicorn .debs? I usually just grab the ubuntu packages but I'm never sure about using the packages for a newer release.

Comment

i just observed that my imon remote control is not working with kernel 3.17 using the mainline build for unicorn. works fine with the default ubuntu 14.10 kernel but not with the 3.17 one. anybody an idea or similar issues?

EDIT: strange thing is that the knobs on the case are still working even on 3.17. only the ir remote isn't.
            Last edited by a user; 06 October 2014, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Hurraaaah!!!
              Since the 3.15 kernel that I had tried to this laptop, the switch from X to console was far from seamless, was changing the brighteness and was killing gpm.
              With 3.17 everything seems to work perfectly! Maybe it was some updates I had seen to changelog about thinkpads and acpi.

Comment

And the scroll in Firefox is almost ideal for the first time!!! :O
                Integrated Intel VGA from 2010 here.

Comment

Working...
                X