F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
    I generally agree with you but you definitely don't generally need to compile everything on Arch. You *can* and they do make it easier than most distributions. However, all their repos are binary unless you count AUR which almost always has binary PKGBUILDs for the most popular popular packages.
    binary PKGBUILD? Well I only see something like this for closed source software, never see a "binary PKGBUILD" for open source software in AUR. And yes, on Arch you don't need compile everything if you use software from official repo. I am just compiling my own kernel because I apply gcc optimization on it https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch and disable NUMA (since I am using regular desktop PC witch one multi core cpu so I don' need NUMA).

Comment

I don't know what you can confuse it with, but guy meant 3rd party repositories where users provide up-to-date compiled versions of their AUR packages.
      Like 'linux-ck-*' or 'linux-mainline'.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
        I don't know what you can confuse it with, but guy meant 3rd party repositories where users provide up-to-date compiled versions of their AUR packages.
        Only a small part of AUR packages is available in 3rd party repos.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
          Only a small part of AUR packages is available in 3rd party repos.
          And this changes what? AUR packages are by their nature very specifical or not popular enough, otherwise, as it happens, they would end up in Arch official repositories.

Comment

And this changes what? AUR packages are by their nature very specifical or not popular enough, otherwise, as it happens, they would end up in Arch official repositories.
            This is only party true, I have 46 packages from AUR, sometimes they are older version of some software (for example skype 4.2, I don't like 4.3 with needs PulseAudio), some are development version for example git version of some software just because I need some new functions in this software. They are many packages in AUR with are popular but they are so specific so they will never land in Arch official repositories.

Comment

I think he meant ones like this: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/abrowser-bin/

Rather than building abrowser, it fetches a binary and packages (or repackages, as in this case) it in pacman's package format.

Comment

Antergos has F2FS no need for any repos.

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
                  binary PKGBUILD? Well I only see something like this for closed source software, never see a "binary PKGBUILD" for open source software in AUR. And yes, on Arch you don't need compile everything if you use software from official repo. I am just compiling my own kernel because I apply gcc optimization on it https://github.com/graysky2/kernel_gcc_patch and disable NUMA (since I am using regular desktop PC witch one multi core cpu so I don' need NUMA).
                  Really? There are plenty of binary packages that aren't closed source. Chromium, firefox, etc. Search for "-bin" and you'll find ~400 packages and that is only those that use the bin label. There many others that don't use the bin label.

Comment

Working...
                  X