X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by dalingrin View Post
    I generally agree with you but you definitely don't generally need to compile everything on Arch. You *can* and they do make it easier than most distributions. However, all their repos are binary unless you count AUR which almost always has binary PKGBUILDs for the most popular popular packages.
    Interesting. I've been using Arch for over 5 years now and I didn't know such a thing as a 'binary PKGBUILD' existed. Unless you mean those services that compile your AUR packages for you ...

Leave a comment:

• kalrish
    replied
    Originally posted by willmore View Post
    So, the OS not designed to have you compile your own stuff doesn't have it--and you have to compile it if you want it. And the OS that you *do* have to compile already comes with it configured to build.

That's a special kind of irony. Sure, I can build the kernel module for Fedora, but if I wanted to compile kernels anymore, I would be using Arch and *I would already have it*. *sigh*
    Arch Linux is a binary distribution, as Fedora; its users can, but do not have to build anything. As for Fedora, I guess it wasn't enabled for legitimate reasons; after all, F2FS is not yet considered stable, and, up until now, f2fs-tools did not offer checking capabilities. It was probably chosen to close the road to prevent naive users from walking in and being damaged.

Leave a comment:

• dalingrin
    replied
    So, the OS not designed to have you compile your own stuff doesn't have it--and you have to compile it if you want it. And the OS that you *do* have to compile already comes with it configured to build.

That's a special kind of irony. Sure, I can build the kernel module for Fedora, but if I wanted to compile kernels anymore, I would be using Arch and *I would already have it*. *sigh*

I generally agree with you but you definitely don't generally need to compile everything on Arch. You *can* and they do make it easier than most distributions. However, all their repos are binary unless you count AUR which almost always has binary PKGBUILDs for the most popular popular packages.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by dragonn View Post
    Compiling kernel for my isn't a problem and on my 4790k it doesn't take much time. And arch already have f2fs module.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    Not in Fedora you can't. They're still not building the kernel with support for it nor offering a module in a package. Sort of makes the userland tools somewhat less useful.
    Compiling kernel for my isn't a problem and on my 4790k it doesn't take much time. And arch already have f2fs module.

Leave a comment:

• willmore
    replied
    Originally posted by dragonn View Post
    Ok, that great. So now I think I can move to f2fs from ext4, but I am still not sure if it is worth.
    Not in Fedora you can't. They're still not building the kernel with support for it nor offering a module in a package. Sort of makes the userland tools somewhat less useful.

Leave a comment:

• dragonn
    replied
    Ok, that great. So now I think I can move to f2fs from ext4, but I am still not sure if it is worth.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support

F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support

Phoronix: F2FS Tools Gain FSCK Support

The f2fs-tools package that provides user-space utilities to the Linux F2FS file-system is out with a new version that provides FSCK capabilities among other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X