Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post
    Yeay, great! For people with bad eyes, the command line is really getting hard to read on high-res screens with kms enabled - even when the largest fonts are used. I hope it will be able to use TTF with arbitrary font size (that would be really an improvement for handicapped people).
    you know you can change the VT resolution to anything you like ?
    just because you have a.. idk 4k monitor does not mean you have to run a console at 4k

@log0 and ra trip

...linus was not just hacking like an idiot and linux was never just a remote terminal

linux was a monolitic multitasking OS from the start
    it had a driver for ata drives for fscks sake
    and linus thinks of linux as feature complete for a long while now

what the f gave you the idea that linux was supposed to be just a terminal emulator ?

Comment

So, when can I build my Linux/systemd or systemd/Linux distribution instead of GNU/Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        So, when can I build my Linux/systemd or systemd/Linux distribution instead of GNU/Linux?
        systemd only supports glibc as libc and it uses quite a few other GNU libraries so never. systemd/GNU/Linux kinda makes sense at this point though.

Comment

Where can I find more info on caching DNS in systemd (tried googling to no avail), and how does one enable or disable this feature?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            you know you can change the VT resolution to anything you like ?
            just because you have a.. idk 4k monitor does not mean you have to run a console at 4k

@log0 and ra trip

...linus was not just hacking like an idiot and linux was never just a remote terminal

linux was a monolitic multitasking OS from the start
            it had a driver for ata drives for fscks sake
            and linus thinks of linux as feature complete for a long while now

what the f gave you the idea that linux was supposed to be just a terminal emulator ?
            I think the terminal story is in http://www.amazon.com/Just-Fun-Story.../dp/0066620732

Comment

Originally posted by david_lynch View Post
              Creature feep, of course. Wait til you see the garbage collector and the process scheduler in the next release of systemd.
              ROFL :-D

Unfortunatedly, since systemd is already taking over your cgroups, it kinda already has its own process scheduler (or at least tweaks builtin one).

Comment

well i don't expect any rage troll to read this but well, here is what it means

* Cache and DNS resolver is targeted for systemd containers, LXC(very likely), embedded systems and is very minimal focused on those targets IS NOT FOR YOUR OCTA CORE HASWELL DESKTOP

* VT code is meant for all systems because once vt is made optional or removed from the kernel you need to bring up kmscon somehow party of geniuses, the current example kmscon code starts too late, so it make sense to optimise the start directly from systemd since logind and cgroups are already part of systemd.

If any of you trolls bother enough to read what every module of systemd is targeted for before show to the world that you are absolutely ignorant about what you are trolling about, that would be nice.

BTW, most of the features you have seen in systemd since 100(ish) releases are meant almost exclusively for embedded and ultra high density virtualization not for desktop use, so if you take your head out of your arse and realize linux work in lot more places that your desktop you will see people in this area welcome very gladly this features because make their work 100 times easier and skyrocket efficiency for their needs. Also you should notice all those features are completely optional and nicely isolated from the core init system and pretty much every distribution that build systemd with every option active like ARCH they come disable by default from upstream.

literate yourself people, read is actually not that hard

Comment

Sorry... but it's...

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
                  It's GNU/systemd

Sheesh... get it right folks!

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    Linus had two private projects going on back then. One of them was simply learning about the i386 ISA by playing around with it. The other one was writing a terminal emulator for reading news on Usenet (because MINIX' implementation sucked). The disk driver originally started out as a part of this terminal emulator. Later on, the two projects converged into what became Linux.

Comment

Aside the fact I dislike GNU/Linux for a minute and I am a BSD user:

It seems RedHat is making all the other distros their bitch by adding systemd as a hard dependency.

More seriously, systemd has indeed moved beyond the scope of init... My question is why not adopt the BSD rc init. System V init has its issues, but BSD rc init has nothing wrong with it.

Systems is rapidly looking like the next HAL in terms of questionable enhancements, but I'm actually enjoying watching GNU/Linux become more like an OS X or Windows clone. Sitting from here on the comfy pillar of BSD is fun.

Comment

Working...
                      X