Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Why yes, what the systemd project *clearly* needed was a full terminal emulator.
    Well, from what I've read, the in kernel VT code is crufty, fragile and "scary". Moving the VT code out of the kernel and into userland, while using saner and cleaner code has been a wish. Does it matter that userspace VT is handled by systemd?

One can dislike systemd, but for better or worse, the project has become the low level, unified Linux userland. Instead of resisting the done deal* of systemd as Linux' system suite, why not make more use of it?

*The deal is done people. For all the teeth gnashing and sniping in forums, there have been zero efforts to start a viable, alternative project that can compete with systemd. SysV init is EOL. Distro's are not going to halt progress, just because vocal people on the internet are glorifying an outdated, limited and ill fitting init system. Before a smart ass comments that SysV fits just right, then why are all distro's switching away from SysV? No, alien mind control is not an acceptable answer, nor is coercion (or black magic) from Lennart Poettering.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
      Well, from what I've read, the in kernel VT code is crufty, fragile and "scary". Moving the VT code out of the kernel and into userland, while using saner and cleaner code has been a wish. Does it matter that userspace VT is handled by systemd?

One can dislike systemd, but for better or worse, the project has become the low level, unified Linux userland. Instead of resisting the done deal* of systemd as Linux' system suite, why not make more use of it?

*The deal is done people. For all the teeth gnashing and sniping in forums, there have been zero efforts to start a viable, alternative project that can compete with systemd. SysV init is EOL. Distro's are not going to halt progress, just because vocal people on the internet are glorifying an outdated, limited and ill fitting init system. Before a smart ass comments that SysV fits just right, then why are all distro's switching away from SysV? No, alien mind control is not an acceptable answer, nor is coercion (or black magic) from Lennart Poettering.
      Oh c'mon. Nobody is seriously opposing systemd here (not to the degree to rage code an alternative anyway). People are just making fun about systemd scope creep.

And the day systemd can read mail, it will be declared feature complete.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        Oh c'mon. Nobody is seriously opposing systemd here (not to the degree to rage code an alternative anyway). People are just making fun about systemd scope creep.

And the day systemd can read mail, it will be declared feature complete.
        Well, some comments over the past 3 months have me fooled then. Scope creep can sometimes be a good thing, though. Linux started out as a terminal emulator... A "systemd 2xx added maild" article wouldn't surprise me.

Comment

Finally

Yeay, great! For people with bad eyes, the command line is really getting hard to read on high-res screens with kms enabled - even when the largest fonts are used. I hope it will be able to use TTF with arbitrary font size (that would be really an improvement for handicapped people).

Comment

Plus, Systemd is core part of CoreOS, which is incredible project on its own. Systemd FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
              Yeay, great! For people with bad eyes, the command line is really getting hard to read on high-res screens with kms enabled - even when the largest fonts are used. I hope it will be able to use TTF with arbitrary font size (that would be really an improvement for handicapped people).
              KMSCON can do that, and it was written by the same person who is working on console support in systemd. They would need to add optional dependencies that are quite heavy though.

Comment

Nice. Can't wait for CONFIG_VT to become optional! Also, first boot question support is a really neat idea, that will make deploying Gentoo even faster.

Comment

What I'd like to see is being able to still switch to a VT if the PC locks up. Often the PC still response to commands if you have a SSH session open, but nouveau noped out. Linux should have a better way to recover from that.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    systemd will end up getting a 3d engine. I called it here first.
                    Exactly, I was just thinking systemd clearly does not contain enough video games! Red Hat should make a clone of Unity3D and integrate it with systemd, so it will be easy to add games as plugins.

Comment

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
                      Well, some comments over the past 3 months have me fooled then.
                      I guess so. I haven't noticed any serious opposition to systemd, despite some occasional mocking or flaming in the "peanut gallery".

Scope creep can sometimes be a good thing, though. Linux started out as a terminal emulator...
                      Afaik Linus was just hacking around with no clear scope at all. Is that what you are implying? That systemd has no scope either? Just some guys trying to see how far they get by including everything and the kitchen sink? Can't wait to see systemd reimplementing a kernel as well then, lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X