Btrfs Gets Talked Up, Googler Encourages You To Try Btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    I still suffer from the ReiserFS nightmare, because I jumped onto ReiserFS while it was new and the world was still a happy place, until the day a sad truth made the news and people started making cruel jokes about it (calling it MurderFS). I am completely burned when it comes to adopting a new file system and I will probably stick forever with Ext2/3/4.
    don't know why, but reading your comment my head just started spinning in imagination of you expecting something like "News at 11, just few last bugs to fix left and otherwise feature complete btrfs developers went on a murder spree, this went so deep that even contributor who only contributed single letter correction to README file joined in" while deciding if you want to use it or not. that's harsh on you, lol

Comment

RAID 6 support

Oh man I wish BtrFS had finished RAID6 support. Using zfs on Linux is working for me now, but it's dog slow. As soon as RAID 6 support is fully implemented I am there.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        don't know why, but reading your comment my head just started spinning in imagination of you expecting something like "News at 11, just few last bugs to fix left and otherwise feature complete btrfs developers went on a murder spree, this went so deep that even contributor who only contributed single letter correction to README file joined in" while deciding if you want to use it or not. that's harsh on you, lol
        Yes. It is a bit like every episode of "Game of Thrones", or the story told by Christopher Walken about a father who carried a watch up his butt for 5 years only so he could give it to his son.

Comment

Originally posted by psychoticmeow View Post
          Nope, you don't need to specify ssd as it's autodetected, and space_cache is enabled by default.
          And "# mount" will show those of course, genius.

I have been using btrfs as my root filesystem for 8~ months (on no raid, portable ssd which I use to boot on many machines) and I didn't have any corruptions except when I accidentally double booted the system I am running on in qemu which broke the fs naturally.
          Last edited by the303; 19 August 2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
            Try:
            noatime nobarrier nodatacow nodatasum ssd ssd_spread compression=lz4
            LZ4 patch to compression... this will do a fast fs, but corruptions everywhere. For enthusiasts, is interesting try it some day...
            Just write your data to /dev/null if you care about it that much.

Comment

Originally posted by the303 View Post
              I have been using btrfs as my root filesystem for 8~ months (on no raid, portable ssd which I use to boot on many machines) and I didn't have any corruptions except when I accidentally double booted the system I am running on in qemu which broke the fs naturally.
              I've done that on ext3 and didn't break a thing.
              BTW, thanks guys for being alpha testers!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
                In terms of Btrfs production readiness from Marc's perspective, "If you pick the right btrfs release/kernel..."
                Doesn't sound too convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                  Try:

noatime nobarrier nodatacow nodatasum ssd ssd_spread compression=lz4

LZ4 patch to compression... this will do a fast fs, but corruptions everywhere. For enthusiasts, is interesting try it some day...
                  The Gentoo spirit lives on!
                  Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 19 August 2014, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
                    /dev/sda2 on / type btrfs (rw,noatime,ssd,space_cache)

Am i doin' it rite? </smuggest Gentoo user response>
                    And I've been out having sex with women.

</doesn't have to be smug>

Comment

I was sure it was going to be a full on flame war by now. ZFS does have plenty of die hard fans.

Comment

Working...
                      X