Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Changes Rejected For The Linux 3.17 Kernel

Phoronix: Btrfs Changes Rejected For The Linux 3.17 Kernel

Chris Mason at Facebook sent in his Btrfs file-system updates today for the Linux 3.17 merge window but it looks like the pull request is being rejected by Linus Torvalds and held off until Linux 3.18...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What are the bugs that this would be fixing? I'm kinda worried since distro's are likely to be using the 3.16 kernel soon.

Comment

indeed, kinda hoping 3.17 will make opensuse 13.2, and would be nice to have a load of bug fixes for btrfs in there.

Comment

Opensourse, meh

You call it free. Yay free beer. You say it's more than free beer man, it's Freedom!

How can it be Freedom I ask if one man calls the shots. If you submit late, too bad for you the MAN is traveling.

You are not free suckers. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by kresh View Post
          You call it free. Yay free beer. You say it's more than free beer man, it's Freedom!

How can it be Freedom I ask if one man calls the shots. If you submit late, too bad for you the MAN is traveling.

You are not free suckers. hahaha
          Because he doesn't call the shots. If you don't like what he does, you take the code and do whatever you want with it.

That's the point of OSS.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Because he doesn't call the shots. If you don't like what he does, you take the code and do whatever you want with it.

That's the point of OSS.
            i see we are not entirely free of trolls on phoronix, despite the joyous absence of lonestar!

Comment

Yes freedom

If Linus starts to become (to)unreasonable someone is free to Fork and start his/her own branch.

Distro's are free to take the (collected)patches from Chris and back port them to their kernel of choice.

Example: A Closed source vendor has patches which you need. He'll tell you to wait for the next release and upgrade without giving you a timeline. The vendor will not backport because it's bad for sales on the new version. A bac kport also invests time/money in a product the vendor wants to drop anyway. How's that for freedom!

Comment

blah blah blah
                Please put more thought/effort into your trolling.

Comment

If you submit late, too bad for you the MAN is traveling. You are not free suckers. hahaha
                  I know I shouldn't respond to your trolling, but did you read what Chris Mason wrote on the mailing list? Most of the proposed pull will still land in 3.17.x and Chris agreed with Linus' decision...

Hi Linus,
                  This did get rebased this week (two days ago), but I've been running it
                  through tests for some time. It was delayed by my own schedule problems
                  (vacation and others) that made it very difficult for me to have it
                  ready early in the window.

Aside from a small number of cleanup patches, these are all fixes. I'm
                  happy to pull out the cleanups and focus on the fixes.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    I know I shouldn't respond to your trolling, but did you read what Chris Mason wrote on the mailing list? Most of the proposed pull will still land in 3.17.x and Chris agreed with Linus' decision...
                    Finnaly, someone on topic. So the fixes are likely to go in 3.17. Now I just need to learn if these are for fixing serious problems with btrfs or not.

Comment

Working...
                    X