No announcement yet.

The GNU Linux Libre 3.16 Kernel Is Christened By Freedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

War is life . Freedo kernel is just prohibited linux kernel . FSF if succeed in all they do, maybe they can end up like organisation who put nasty pictures on cigarettes

Yeah, world is full of nonsense .

Comment

This is really good, but it requires hardware that needs just software that does not need those closed things to run optimally.
      In case of AMD you need firmware. In case of Intel, firmware is loaded at UEFI level. In case of Nvidia, the driver itself is least of quality among other two.
      In x86 world, this idea is impossible if one needs fast 3d graphics, sadly.

Comment

As long there are ppl who want to use Linux in a self-restricted way this may be useful for those. I see no reason not to provide needed firmware out of the box that all network (especially wifi), 3d and lots of dvb devices work. Basically i even provide solutions (if possible) to use binary drivers automatically (hello amd: i need something for xserver 1.16!) for Kanotix. Some ppl however are not happy at all with binary drivers or even with binary firmware (nouveau can use 3d but not vdpau without binary only firmware), so i hope they like it that way.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
          This is really good, but it requires hardware that needs just software that does not need those closed things to run optimally.
          In case of AMD you need firmware. In case of Intel, firmware is loaded at UEFI level. In case of Nvidia, the driver itself is least of quality among other two.
          In x86 world, this idea is impossible if one needs fast 3d graphics, sadly.
          Nouveau reclocking is on the way and using an Intel IGP is considered free (the driver isn't in the kernel, so the kernel is fully free).

Nouveau is actually good-quality coding and such (quality, feature set, stability and speed are different things), unlike the proprietary NVIDIA driver where no one knows.

Comment

Thanx for that work. I dont will use it on my main rigs, but its good that its there.

Some people have to think ahead, if windows looses its last 14% the CEO or Manager? of Microsoft says they have, linux is at some point standart. sadly not gnu/linux.

With steamos and so on much moves in this direction. Even that gnu/linux will have much much more users (steamos).

So a company with good linux support will profit from that choice more and more. And yes many of that new linux users will not care to much about freedom, but some of them will, and so even the market for people taht care about taht will grow. So its more likely that some hardware will not only support linux but are completly free software compatible.

Also as example the free (even the firmware is not free) radeon driver also gets month over month better, at some point the advantages of the blob are so low the many disadvantages over the free driver will make him for nearly nobody a good choice. etc...

What I want to say is if there is software first u have a branch where u can fix some stuff u can see how far u are, u can jsut boot a live cd with that kernel and see what hardware makes problems for u and if possible not buy from this company again hardware when there are more free alternatives that are acceptable.

And what I found funny was the argument taht linux is about freedom of choice and then the bsd answer here, that shows were that leads if you want freedom of choice and u dont agree to fsfs definition at least the ideal behind it, using bsd stuff and lisenses makes more sense.

So the linux gpl opensource movement makes no sense at all either advertise and coeist and empower embrace proprietary software, having free choice as your maxim then go for bsd or love freedom like fsf sees/defines it, and u go full on free software.

The rest are compromises, I go for it too, but because I am weak and lazy not because I think I know it better and what I do has to be the better the more free thing because I use it.

Its a strange sense of freedom if u want the freedom to enslave yourself for the next few years by your choice. Every contract where u sign that u are a slave now for somebody else would be invalid at least in germany and most likely on most other parts of the world.

A complete freedom of choice on all fields would mean anarcy.
            Last edited by blackiwid; 09 August 2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
              A complete freedom of choice on all fields would mean anarcy.
              And what is so terrible about anarchy ? It's the higher state of human evolution (if humans survive, anyway) and the way of the universe. It's true you need effort to earn freedom and not complacency. As for that about slaves, it didn't happen because someone thought was good idea, it happened after revolutions, fighting and blood. Anyway, contracts oppose the notion of freedom, in practice it's not act of freedom if you have to sign a contract.

With all, many are glad for GNU and their work and they'd make the effort to live as free as possible without compromising the freedoms of others.

Comment

Working...
              X