The Linux 3.16 Kernel Has Been Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
    You mean a build similar to localmodconfig? Because a full build takes easily 15-20 minutes on reasonably powerful hardware.
    If you compile yourself, why do you include support for stuff you don't have? Surely you don't plug in thousands of PCI/USB devices and use dozens of file systems?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      If you compile yourself, why do you include support for stuff you don't have? Surely you don't plug in thousands of PCI/USB devices and use dozens of file systems?
      Is there somewhere a noob-friendly tutorial on how to configure a kernel build?
      With an explanation for all the modules and what they are for and which to pick?
      Are dependencies solved automatically?

Is it that easy to pick only the modules for your hardware, say Core2Quad-module, graphic-card-module, mainboard chipset, usb, spdif, hdmi, ac97, ext4, done?
      I always used the config of my distribution kernel so far...thats why it needed forever...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        Is there somewhere a noob-friendly tutorial on how to configure a kernel build?
        With an explanation for all the modules and what they are for and which to pick?
        Are dependencies solved automatically?

Is it that easy to pick only the modules for your hardware, say Core2Quad-module, graphic-card-module, mainboard chipset, usb, spdif, hdmi, ac97, ext4, done?
        I always used the config of my distribution kernel so far...thats why it needed forever...
        Read the Gentoo docs. It's basically quite simple, but you need to know some Linux specific stuff. Ext4 is just [x] ext4 if you want ext4 + ext4 root support. For ac97 there are several options. Might be e.g. intel hdaudio nowadays. HDMI -- depends on your hardware, spdif -- depends on your hardware, usb -- you need to enable usb 1.x, usb 2.x, usb 3.x, usb mass storage, usb printer, ... Mainboard -- know the model and enable it, graphics card -- know the model and enable kernel mode drivers, core2quad -- enable core2 x86

Comment

Working...
        X