Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Features Of Linux 3.16

Phoronix: The Best Features Of Linux 3.16

The Linux 3.16 kernel could be released as soon as today with its development having calmed down but if you've refrained from reading up on this new kernel, here's the rundown on the new features and capabilities of this 2014 late-summer kernel debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And the best feature of all: suspend to RAM regressions. In every new kernel version.

Comment

Originally posted by tigrang View Post
      And the best feature of all: suspend to RAM regressions. In every new kernel version.
      Your links to those regressions?

stupid troll and ten character limit.

Comment

Another nice feature is that colors are better displayed on certain screens with radeon. Used to have massive color banding on my laptop prior to 3.16 (fglrx had no such issue).

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          Your links to those regressions?
          For me, the last kernel that worked ok was 3.11. After that, when the sustem tries to wake up, sometimes (very sporadic, no discernible pattern) it doesn't succeed (iirc 3.12 had hard hangs, 3.13 had a hung gpu/X, and 3.14 still has some gpu problems, no 3.15 in Debian unstable, seems like 3.16 is next). Problem with reporting it is that it takes a while for the problem to appear, so until I get the problem again there's usually a new kernel out to try which seems to work at first...

Comment

Outside of 3rd party vendor specific device driver performance integration and/or enhancements, not really a whole lot new.

Features should be agnostic and thus make the Kernel more impressive if you want to discuss new features.

Otherwise, it's just vendor add-in stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              For me, the last kernel that worked ok was 3.11. After that, when the sustem tries to wake up, sometimes (very sporadic, no discernible pattern) it doesn't succeed (iirc 3.12 had hard hangs, 3.13 had a hung gpu/X, and 3.14 still has some gpu problems, no 3.15 in Debian unstable, seems like 3.16 is next). Problem with reporting it is that it takes a while for the problem to appear, so until I get the problem again there's usually a new kernel out to try which seems to work at first...
              What is your hardware? For my when I bought my laptop suspend to ram didn't work on kernel 2.6.35 but some version newer it started working and now it works perfectly. Maybe you should submit a bug? Started with kernel 3.10 I had a bug with random kernel panics so I need to disable some interrupts in acpi, I submitted this on kernel bugtracker with all logs, in 3.13 my bug was fixed .

Comment

So would this be the first kernel that boots on odroids out of the box? What would it need beside generic kernel? Uboot?

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  I almost always have those weird regressions with suspend too. In fact, it happens with Windows too. Windows 7 could suspend my desktop to RAM but Windows 8.1 randomly fails to wake up the disks.

With Linux on laptops getting suspend regressions fixed is horrible. The way to debug it used to be a serial port. What laptop has a serial port anymore?

You're almost completely limited to using custom kernel builds and git bisect. Which only works if the problem can be reliably reproduced. If the problem is unpredictable, well, good luck!

It isn't like the problem is easier to debug for developers either. The only people that can really do it are the laptop builders. You need a bare laptop motherboard with probes hooked up so you can read the ISA debug output ports. That, or special debugging hardware cards. And if the laptop is an Ultrabook type with no expansion slot you'd need an open case with a custom added slot to install one.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
                    I almost always have those weird regressions with suspend too. In fact, it happens with Windows too. Windows 7 could suspend my desktop to RAM but Windows 8.1 randomly fails to wake up the disks.

With Linux on laptops getting suspend regressions fixed is horrible. The way to debug it used to be a serial port. What laptop has a serial port anymore?

You're almost completely limited to using custom kernel builds and git bisect. Which only works if the problem can be reliably reproduced. If the problem is unpredictable, well, good luck!

It isn't like the problem is easier to debug for developers either. The only people that can really do it are the laptop builders. You need a bare laptop motherboard with probes hooked up so you can read the ISA debug output ports. That, or special debugging hardware cards. And if the laptop is an Ultrabook type with no expansion slot you'd need an open case with a custom added slot to install one.
                    Could be an USB serial port used for debuging? I am sure this could work. Second, what about kdump, newer used it but I know it is useful for debugging when you don't have access to the kernel log directly .

Comment

Working...
                    X