Using Udev Without Systemd Is Going To Become Harder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mike4 View Post
    How could such a crappy udev been accepted. It's such a can of bugs not even my CH Pedals are working anymore! Unbelievable, no wonder many people move to OSX. Such will push down the number of Linux users for X-Plane from ~2% below 1%.-
    Hi mike4
    You are in danger of becoming a "bug-whiner", ie. someone who monotonically complains about a perceived bug in all the wrong places, presumably in order to "black mail" somebody to fix the bug.

It is a strategy that always fail, simply because those who can fix the bug, don't read forums like this. It only irritates the regular readers who will start to perceive you as a nuisance.

File a (good) bug report with your distro. Mail the company that made the hardware. If they don't support Linux, then don't expect anybody else will. Use another OS if needed. I think Gentoo have another implementation of udev called eudev. Try that.

Comment

• People need to understand what eudev is, before randomly accepting or declining it

Originally posted by interested View Post
      I think Gentoo have another implementation of udev called eudev. Try that.
      I have no idea why people _completely randomly_ recommend to try eudev. There is no point in using eudevl, unless you want better alternative libc support, like uClibc or musl.
      Or possible restore the old rule_generator that created the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-*.rules to keep eth0 as eth0 (which never worked as expected).
      I don't see how his CH pedals could be related to either of them.

As in, that's all eudev does, that systemd-udevd doesn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        He complains about it on pretty much every systemd thread.
        I just checked and there is only one occurrence of the word "pedal" on the entire freedesktop.org bugtracker (ALL projects) and that is part of a game's name on a bug report for radeonsi.

So, mike4, if you want that bug fixed then go ahead and report it instead of spamming that bug here. The developers will not check Phoronix for bug reports, they won't read your mind and they won't break into your computer to check if everything works.
        Not to mention that bug descriptions like "bloody CH Pedals not working" would give them any hint where to look anyways.

Also, the only pedals I could find on the CH website were the Pro Pedals, where it clearly says:
        Compatible with Windows 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and Mac OSX
        Maybe next time try to buy products from companies actually supporting Linux.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
          Maybe next time try to buy products from companies actually supporting Linux.
          HaHa what a joke. There's not even one single company to support Linux. In fact that's not funny but dead serious.

I've reported a bug and it seems that for ex. X-Plane users prefer to boot Windows than to report or even work around/fix a bug.
          And me, I'll be gone soon as well. Even after using Linux since 1998 this is really getting annoying. There's always, always something broken.-
          I hate Mac or Window but at least it works.

Comment

HaHa what a joke. There's not even one single company to support Linux. In fact that's not funny but dead serious.

I've reported a bug and it seems that for ex. X-Plane users prefer to boot Windows than to report or even work around/fix a bug.
            And me, I'll be gone soon as well. Even after using Linux since 1998 this is really getting annoying.
            More annoying than your useless whining? I doubt it. Go ahead, switch to windows/mac. I promise I won't shed a tear.

BTW, who's forcing you to use the latest udev if all it does is make you cry? Just find a more conservative distro to play your game in or install an older version of whatever distro you prefer. Dual-boot if you need to.

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            There's always, always something broken.-
            No, they do not work any better. Unless you measure working by how well they support whatever esoteric gaming accessory you personally happen to own. And don't mind being treated like an idiot when they do break.

Comment

There's not even one single company to support Linux.
              Lots of companies explicitly list Linux as a supported platform.

Comment

And me, I'll be gone soon as well. Even after using Linux since 1998 this is really getting annoying. There's always, always something broken.-
                Hello,
                It probably boils down to some problem with udev and permissions.
                May I ask You for Xorg.log?

EDIT: yeah, I know, I have asked You before but do not have time to review this whole thread.

Comment

• Following this:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?...c=71300&page=6

I got it working most of the time by executing a script to change acl before launching x-plane.

Now this doesn't work always! Sometimes you have to reboot into windows and back to get it working again.

Well that's what I call stone age.- 10 years ago I wouldn't have said anything but this is getting ridiculous...

Comment

• BTW, which game You use these pedals with?

Could You post this script here?

Did You try
                    KERNEL=="event*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="068e", MODE="0666"
                    Last edited by Mat2; 12 July 2014, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Sometimes you have to reboot into windows and back to get it working again.
                      Might be worth retesting with USB power management turned off. Some devices stop working when woken up from USB suspend.

Comment

Working...
                      X