Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd's Plan For Stateless Systems, Factory Resets

Phoronix: Systemd's Plan For Stateless Systems, Factory Resets

Following the exciting systemd 214 release that worked on new sandboxing features and other improvements toward a stateless Linux system, Lennart Poettering has blogged about the latest features and their plans going forward...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This sounds amazing! Still, where do systemd guys expect applications to be installed (like in years from now if their ideas catch on). Still in /usr? It would be cool to reinstall the OS without losing apps and data (like if the system is unusable because it shutdown in the middle of an update).

I ask because this is the most I can find on the subject from the blog post:

For end-user machines like desktops, tablets or mobile phones, we want a generic way to implement factory reset, which the user can make use of when the system is broken (saves you support costs), or when he wants to sell it and get rid of his private data, and renew that "fresh car smell".
    But this sounds like the opposite of what I am asking about.
    Last edited by CTown; 17 June 2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

anyone else went for popcorn when seeing title? systemd topics are so amusing on phoronix. but, trolls are so late... c'mon it's been minutes already

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        This sounds amazing! Still, where do systemd guys expect applications to be installed (like in years from now if their ideas catch on). Still in /usr? It would be cool to reinstall the OS without losing apps and data (like if the system is unusable because it shutdown in the middle of an update).

But this sounds like the opposite of what I am asking about.
        if i would have to guess, the applications will probably reside in both usr and home as part of http://www.superlectures.com/guadec2...ions-for-gnome

Comment

See, this is why having a consistent base system is useful!

People keep moaning about systemd 'breaking' their bizarre single-case hacks that had strange edge-cases anyway, and then ignore the fact that we get consistent, reliable, cross-distro features that are useful to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post

Looking into the crystal ball, the future seems to be that will be two kinds of "apps": the normal ones as we know it, in form of a rpm or deb package, and "sand boxed" apps that are developed via a special SDK, and runs in an environment that are totally independent of the underlying OS.

Such SB apps can in theory run unmodified on any Linux distribution that support the sand boxing environment. Such apps could in theory be carried over to a new OS (either OS upgrade or another brand) without modification and without loss of data and configuration.
            There still needs a lot of work to make this happens, like kdbus in the kernel etc, so this is mostly theoretical at this point.

AFAIK, you can just install normal apps either system wide in the "golden master" image (persistent) or in a running OS container if you got the right user permissions (might not be persistent across boots, depending of model.)

I especially like the "Verifiable System". Security is so damn hard to get right on the Internet and every system exposed is under a constant attack. It would be nice if only a sand boxed container OS was exposed to the net, that could be verified as not-compromised (AV-scanners etc. aren't much help against this these days, and Tripwire and similar also have its problems).

Comment

I acknowledge that I was wrong. They don't want to turn Linux into Windows. They want to turn it into iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
                useful to everyone.
                You're not everyone, my friend. This crap isn't useful to me in the slightest. The only thing that systemd would change for me is that I would have to run twice as fast just to stay where I am now with sysvinit.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  I acknowledge that I was wrong. They don't want to turn Linux into Windows. They want to turn it into iOS.
                  It's amazing how awful Linux has become. It's like Linus has totally phoned it in and is off on perpetual scuba diving vacations.

Comment

Difference Between....

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
                    anyone else went for popcorn when seeing title? systemd topics are so amusing on phoronix. but, trolls are so late... c'mon it's been minutes already
                    The above comment makes reflect on the difference between Phoronix forums and /. forums....one of them is owned by DICE.

Comment

Working...
                    X