Systemd Continues Getting Bigger, Almost At 550k Lines Of Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
    But don't fixate on Gnome as a unique case - they're merely the ones leading the charge. Don't be surprised to find KDE and others following the same trend, because they *have* expressed interest in using systemd-provided services, just as Gnome does now.
    Following this trend, systemd will become so much pervasive, that even BSDs will also start to have to incorporate it...
    by which time OpenBSD people will also make a public show while trying to secure/fix it. :-D

(Seriously, I really hope the internals of systemd are less messy than openssl's)

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
      But don't fixate on Gnome as a unique case - they're merely the ones leading the charge. Don't be surprised to find KDE and others following the same trend, because they *have* expressed interest in using systemd-provided services, just as Gnome does now.
      KDE isn't going to get a choice in the matter. If KDE users want to be able to run Gnome Apps (which they will), then KDE will have to use systemd.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
        KDE isn't going to get a choice in the matter. If KDE users want to be able to run Gnome Apps (which they will), then KDE will have to use systemd.
        With systemd being the foundation of Linux userland and kdbus taking over the kernel there will be a lot less choice across the board.

The windowisation of Linux is going full speed.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          With systemd being the foundation of Linux userland and kdbus taking over the kernel there will be a lot less choice across the board.
          Choice of software doesn't happen without people actually working on such choices. Kdbus and cgroups are by no means exclusive to systemd platforms. They are kernel features that anybody can develop against. If that doesn't happen, then it is because there is no real interest of doing so.

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          The windowisation of Linux is going full speed.
          Ah, the usual vague, sneering, and content-free criticism, like "bloated". Not going to win many technical arguments with that rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
            Can somebody explain to me why a desktop app should have a hard (!!!) dependency on a particular system daemon?

Is there ANY technical reason for this?

Comment

Originally posted by tomegun View Post
              We expose, or plan to expose, a lot of libraries. Not all will necessarily be exposed by default anytime soon, but at least we are preparing for doing so, and it is only a matter of flipping a switch (just want to be relatively confident that the API is the one we want): http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/...ee/src/systemd
              Is there a timeline or roadmap for stabilizing the APIs? When can we expect it will be possible to start writing up alternatives to journald, logind, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Can somebody explain to me why a desktop app should have a hard (!!!) dependency on a particular system daemon?

Is there ANY technical reason for this?
                Because a DE is an interface between the user and the system ?

Comment

Windowisation... I can see something like that sometimes and it's just an inevitable result of satisfying potential ex-Windows users-- which you always wanted, right? but today I am not quite getting the 'choice' angle. How long did we have xorg-x11 & co. while (ignoring DirectFB, svgalib, etc) everyone and everything graphical depended on it implicitly and there were no alternatives and that was acceptable? I haven't heard but I believe there's a sort of Linux Philosophy superseding the Unix Philosophy because the requirements have changed. Because of Windows. Oh, and Steam

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    Because a DE is an interface between the user and the system ?
                    This addresses a question I didn't ask, and addresses it badly.

Why would a desktop application, like GIMP, care what the system daemon is doing? Why would Inkscape refuse to start if you run the "wrong" system daemon, or Gnumeric fail to compute if you are on a BSD?

What sort of essential functionality is missing from them now, that must be added as a hard dependency tomorrow?

Comment

I really want to see Ubuntu guys dealing with systemd, off course all the hard work is always done in Debian and then copied to Ubuntu and sealed like own work.

Comment

Working...
                      X