Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd Continues Getting Bigger, Almost At 550k Lines Of Code

Phoronix: Systemd Continues Getting Bigger, Almost At 550k Lines Of Code

Systemd continues growing in size and now consists of more than one thousand files and is approaching 550,000 lines of code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Little misleading since its everything under the systemd umbrella. That being said, before someone freaks out: all features are modular and can freely be disabled at compile time except for core systemd and the journal
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

Systemd continues growing in size and now consists of more than one thousand files and is approaching 550,000 lines of code...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjM
      Commits in systemd from 2003!? Is that from when they merged in udev or something?

Comment

Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
        Commits in systemd from 2003!? Is that from when they merged in udev or something?
        Yes. That's right

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Yes. That's right
          waiting eagerly for kdbus tho

Comment

Obligatory 'grabs popcorn' post...

Comment

The architecture of systemd

So let's see if I'm understanding this right. Which one of these statements describes the systemd architecture?

* systemd is a monolitic binary that includes inside a lot of services (like DHCP, dbus, and so on), but using #defines is possible to compile only some of them.

* systemd is growing with new services and more, but they still run like another process. The diference is that these services (like DHCP, dbus and so on) have been modified to integrate with systemd, and are now hosted inside the source tree of systemd, but can still be considered independent binaries.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTY5NjM

And in unrelated news, Linux is 50-100 million lines of code. I'm sure there was a point somewhere in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
                  Little misleading since its everything under the systemd umbrella. That being said, before someone freaks out: all features are modular and can freely be disabled at compile time except for core systemd and the journal
                  Then why can't they spin it off into separate libraries so that they can be used with other programs rather than just with systemd and systemd alone, without having to be spun off by some other developer?
                  Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  And in unrelated news, Linux is 50-100 million lines of code. I'm sure there was a point somewhere in here.
                  Linux is meant to do a lot more, not to mention that there's probably a lot of code in there for modules.
                  Also, your figure is probably wrong by a huge margin, the 3.10 kernel had 15803499 lines of code , I doubt that it's more than tripled in less than a year.

Comment

Originally posted by porken View Post
                    Then why can't they spin it off into separate libraries so that they can be used with other programs rather than just with systemd and systemd alone, without having to be spun off by some other developer?

Linux is meant to do a lot more, not to mention that there's probably a lot of code in there for modules.
                    Also, your figure is probably wrong by a huge margin, the 3.10 kernel had 15803499 lines of code , I doubt that it's more than tripled in less than a year.
                    And why can't VLC spin off its functions for rendering subtitles and changing the volume of a sound into separate libraries so it can be used with other programs rather than just with VLC?

Comment

Working...
                    X