Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

Phoronix: Linux Foundation Announces A Core Infrastructure Initiative

The Linux Foundation has announced a multi-million dollar Core Infrastructure Initiative to fund critical open-source projects. The first project receiving money from this pool is OpenSSL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm....OpenSSL, not LibreSSL? I thought OpenSSL was irrevocably broken?

Comment

"Core Infrastructure Initiative"? Aww, I was hoping it would be called "Pacemaker"

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Not if you throw money at it it's not!

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        It's clearly not LibreSSL. Linux Foundation should not accept the terms in which the investment is done; they have to protect the freedom of the libre community and they should administer that investment money in the projects they are genuinely and scientifically interested on. If all those companies have real interest in patching OpenSSL, they should bring their own developers to upload patches to the project. What I believe they are attempting is to control the interest of development for their own benefit.

Comment

Competition

The HeartBlead bug showed us that there was a lack of competition on SSL layer software. Too many considered OpenSSL the best even tough it had many disadvantages. And this is why ot became almost omnipresent.

OpenBSD will ensure that OpenSSL have some competition and the Linux Foundation will ensure that OpenSSL stand a change in this competition.

You can always argue that this should have happened long ago. But that argument won't fix anything.

They are fixing this now, and that is good.

Comment

Where the F is HP at?

Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.

Comment

Originally posted by arabek View Post
              Big names in the industry - but where the f is HP? They had over 30 bugtraq advisories last 2 weeks, all concerning the heartbleed bug. If there's anyone who should throw in monies to improve on OpenSSL it's definitely HP who takes it all, gives nothing back.
              Just as i wrote - 4 more came in with the same heartbleed bug as the cause... HP, what's your game!?

@Michael - might want to reach out to them for comment?

EDIT: for reference: http://insecure.org/search.html?cx=p...leed&sa=Search

Comment

Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                  Yes, please, give some money to the Xfce devs so they can work full time on it. And let's not forget Gimp, Inkscape, Blender, LibreOffice, Openshot, Wine and others.

Better development tools would be nice too. Something like Eclipse (a multi-purpose IDE) but without the bloat.
                  I'm all for that.

Comment

Gimp, Libreoffice and the others aren't exactly "Core Internet infrastructure" this fund was meant for :P

Comment

Working...
                    X