Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azrael5
    replied
    So someone has to make tests and benchamarks to evaluate its capabilities, problems and advantages.

Leave a comment:

• gens
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Another good use case is embedded. Routers and small devices might have 2 to 64 MB of flash. Even with XZ compression modern Linux can be 3 MB on x86 with almost every feature disabled. Too bad Linus is such a douche and doesn't care about fighting bloat.
    thing is the code itself does not bring much to the footprint of a running kernel

Leave a comment:

• dstaubsauger
    replied
    sounds like we're going to see a ten page article full of benchmark graphs some time soon

Leave a comment:

• tmpdir
    replied
    Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Another good use case is embedded. Routers and small devices might have 2 to 64 MB of flash. Even with XZ compression modern Linux can be 3 MB on x86 with almost every feature disabled. Too bad Linus is such a douche and doesn't care about fighting bloat.
    Yeh, we don't care that the maintainers don't even call for testing and crap... give us that unstable shit! Don't even test any of the patches on the kernel! No wait... its not even necessary to have an succesfull build of the kernel, ill just watch the code

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by cb88 View Post
    This is a cool article

I hope it works on sparc32 despite being a less used architecture and sparc64 as well I'll be updating my kernel there soon as SMP support has been fixed (previously SMP kernels locked up on many UltraSparc boxes unless you forced them into uniprocessor mode)

Smaller kernels are really important for sparc32 as the kernel is at the point where you can't compile many drivers into the 3.4MB or so limit. Its around that anyway.. I think newer versions of SILO might have lifted that somewhat but I am not sure.

Smaller faster kernel why would ANYONE complain?

Leave a comment:

• cb88
    replied
    This is a cool article

I hope it works on sparc32 despite being a less used architecture and sparc64 as well I'll be updating my kernel there soon as SMP support has been fixed (previously SMP kernels locked up on many UltraSparc boxes unless you forced them into uniprocessor mode)

Smaller kernels are really important for sparc32 as the kernel is at the point where you can't compile many drivers into the 3.4MB or so limit. Its around that anyway.. I think newer versions of SILO might have lifted that somewhat but I am not sure.

Smaller faster kernel why would ANYONE complain?
    Last edited by cb88; 04-09-2014, 03:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X