Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.16 Stubs Out DirectX Video Acceleration

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.16 Stubs Out DirectX Video Acceleration

Wine 1.7.16 was released this afternoon as the latest Wine development release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sonds good, alt of people are complaning about no VA for Netflix via Wine

Comment

I think the right term would be "stubs in", not "stubs out"...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Yes. I was confused by that.

Comment

With this PPA you can get D3D Command streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
            With this PPA you can get D3D Command streaming.

https://launchpad.net/~foresto/+archive/winepatched/

CSMT show different result depend game, on my channel have some videos (around 850 videos)

And more information on my blog

I prefer wine vanilla compiled (more performance, on my channel have some videos about how compile wine)

I test Assassins Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer with command: WINEDEBUG=-all wine steamfor both versiones of wine 1.7.15 and 1.7.16

This is with Wine 1.7.15 + Nvidia 334.21

And now with Wine 1.7.16 + Nvidia 334.21

On this wine 1.7.16 + Nvidia 334.21 runs much better than wine 1.7.15 + Nvidia 334.21

back to DXVA its only stubs, and now must be work on support, this take time

Comment

Does this (the stubs, not the d3d patch) improves performance of games in any way?

Comment

I've never heard anyone use the term "stub in" when referring to adding stubs for methods, functions, or classes; only "stub out". Think of it more like someone is saying "I'm filling that feature out."

Comment

Originally posted by alazar View Post
                  Does this (the stubs, not the d3d patch) improves performance of games in any way?
                  I don't think it does.
                  First of all they're about DirectX Video Acceleration, so as the name says, video processing, which is only barely related to games (cut-scenes?). And I think any game just use software rendering for those.
                  Second, those are stubs, so they don't simply do anything (https://github.com/mirrors/wine/comm...a2905b2af328dd). At best, I guess they would prevent applications/games(?) from not loading if they try to use those functions, but they're not available.

After some guessing, I just went ahead and checked the mailing list (why I didn't do that before writing half of my comment?): http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine...ch/103687.html
                  So yes, it's only about video rendering on the gpu. So far, it seems to support VAAPI, and mpeg2.

Comment

No, "Stubs Out" is the right term. It's a programming term which basically means create the bare minimum required to actually make a set of functions compile while not implementing the actual functionality required.

Comment

Working...
                    X