Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.15 Should Suspend & Resume Much Faster

Phoronix: Linux 3.15 Should Suspend & Resume Much Faster

The Linux 3.15 kernel will feature a large number of ACPI and power management updates when its merge window opens in the days ahead...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

it saved 80% time in resume_noirq phase
    The key question is how much % time resume_noirq takes compared to resume as a whole.

Comment

Man ,we're talking about seconds, sometime even less than two seconds to complete standby and resume.
      Nothing too exciting, but still nice.

Comment

It will be available on next linux distros by default?

Comment

On my system, Arch Linux + SSD suspend takes less than 1 second.

Comment

I felt like suspend and resume were already pretty fast. The only thing that could speed up is KDE plasma resuming. Even then I feel like it's already quick enough.

Comment

It's funny to read ACPI enhancements in the next kernel release, when Ubuntu wants to ditch ACPI from it's universe

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                It's funny to read ACPI enhancements in the next kernel release, when Ubuntu wants to ditch ACPI from it's universe
                The kernel maintainers did not want to implement it in the first place, but there isn't much choice, now is there.

Comment

I wish if they could somehow improve boot speed. It is probably not kernel fault. Boot speed of popular Linux distributions is horrible compared to Windows 8. It gives a bad impression of bloated and slow system to new users.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
                    I wish if they could somehow improve boot speed. It is probably not kernel fault. Boot speed of popular Linux distributions is horrible compared to Windows 8. It gives a bad impression of bloated and slow system to new users.
                    That's because Windows 8 doesn't really do full boot/shutdown cycle. When you press the shutdown button, the system goes into hybrid hibernation, and booting into it just thaws it out, that's why it seems so fast. You can have similar speed on linux by simply hibernating (if by any chance it works for you).

Comment

Working...
                    X