Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 28.0 Delivers VP9 Video Decoding, Opus In WebM

Phoronix: Firefox 28.0 Delivers VP9 Video Decoding, Opus In WebM

Mozilla Firefox 28.0 is being prepped for release right now and it comes with some exciting updates for users of this open-source, cross-platform browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by atari314
    Oh damn... I was hoping they would finally release a stable, light and fast web browser...
    Firefox and Chromium user here. I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed on me, so I guess that makes it quite stable (for me). I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium. Firefox 27 seems as fast as Chromium (I have a low speed connection, though).
    Last edited by Pseus; 17 March 2014, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Shumway

I'm really looking forward to when they enable Shumway by default.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
        I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium.
        Pass `--single-process` to Chromium for an apples to apples comparison. Chromium's sandboxing comes at a high memory usage cost. It puts each site instance in an empty chroot, process namespace and network namespace. Unlike on Windows, it's able to reduce the kernel attack surface by making use of seccomp so it's not easy to bypass the sandbox.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
          Oh damn... I was hoping they would finally release a stable, light and fast web browser...
          You must be one of those users who only needed 640k............................

There's a natural evolution between more features and larger program size. That does not necessarily equate to bloat.

Comment

So far Firefox runs fine on my smartphone. I can't complain about RAM usage.

Comment

I'm on the Aurora channel, so I'm currently running 29.0a2 and my only issue with Firefox has been how it's really a cooperatively multitasked OS in 2014. When you've got as many extensions and tabs as I do, that really causes a lot of janking.

e10s can't come soon enough.

(It does also have a tendency to leak its way up to around 6GiB resident before I restart it, but that's some extension's fault and, hopefully, e10s will make it easier for them to implement something along the lines of Chrome's task manager so I don't have to spend days living with a crippled experience while I bisect my extension collection.)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                I run nightly on my android devices and it's usually very solid (I've a few bugs open but they've been unable to replicate but I gave them traces so...we'll see;interestingly it was b/c of this site's commenting system that I was filing the bugs---for some reason a newline character crashed the browser).
                However, right now it's pretty unstable and it hasn't updated for more than a week...of course this is b/c I've more than 200 tabs open (it's consuming more than 400MB just by maintaining that list...why? why aren't they using lighter objects to represent old, but currently unloaded, tabs?).
                On my phone, however, I've around 130 tabs and it's running perfectly.
                IOW, ff is pretty damn spiffy, and though I like some chrome's interface more (along with their click disambiguation) I use ff b/c they produce something that is desparately needed---an alternate to webkit based browsers that are also very standards compliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                  Funny thing - one of the few sites that looks like garbage on Firefox on my Android phone is Phoronix. Looks perfect on Chrome, but I can't get font sizing correct for some reason on Firefox. Half the page looks grotesquely enormous, and half the page is so tiny that it's unreadable.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                    Firefox and Chromium user here. I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed on me, so I guess that makes it quite stable (for me). I also find it to consistently consume less RAM than Chromium. Firefox 27 seems as fast as Chromium (I have a low speed connection, though).
                    I can crash Chrome, Epiphany, Firefox and any other browser on Debian Linux. Even with 32 GB RAM I can bring them all to their knees. The easiest is using Flash. Another one is just surfing piss poorly written web sites like The HuffingtonPost, itself used to test against WebKit for being such a pig on resources.

Comment

Working...
                    X