Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only detals

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
    Is ChromeOS actually Linux? Yes, it uses the Linux kernel but that's not what people refer to when they say Linux. By Linux they usually mean GNU/Linux and ChromeOS is not a GNU/Linux OS.
    only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and don?t believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster

Comment

i agree!

Originally posted by nll_a
      Do people somewhere really use that crap? That's odd.
      i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more

Comment

the percentage refers to about sold distributions !

Most people don't see the real fact about the percentage. The percentage in public about Linux
        is only concerning sold distributions on the market of operating-systems ?! - or not ?!

But the percentage simply by free available downloads is much higher ! I would estimate
        this between 5 and 10 percent today. Interesting will be, what comes up by March and April, when
        time of Windows XP expires. Where will 40 % of Windows XP go to ?! Windows 8 still has no
        real fall-out with sold DVDs ... normally it should be a higher percentage by now for Windows 8, but
        many dont want to buy another Windows after 7, facing the news that Windows 9 is planned for
        April 2015 (and it will have the codes of Trusty Thar in April 2014 ... ).

It will be really interesting until end of year 2014 for Linux, and by this year, we then know
        how Linux will be more popular to more people than in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
          only details, the problem here is the marketing, most of people don t know android using linux kernel... i talk with people and when i talk about that their look to me with their stupid eyes!, and don?t believe in my word, because in their minds linux is a monster
          No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            No, the problem is not marketing, it's a technical difference. When you say Linux people expect that you can run GNU/Linux apps on it. You cannot run GNU apps neither on Android nor on ChromeOS and that's why people, rightfully, don't think of Android or ChromeOS as Linux.
            That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
              That's why they should tag it Google/Linux or Chrome/Linux to clarify the incompatibility.
              No. GNU/Linux was invented due to RMS zealots. They didn't accept the fact that Linux and modern apps mostly replaced GNU. GNU was mostly targeted towards command line. Besides many Linux systems have majority of apps not coming from GNU and can have BSD alternatives. Likewise if Android fellows feel they did the most job, you don't need to give credit to Linux at all. They even use BSD stuff instead so there's very little GNU in Android. Probably not at all. It's definitely not GNU/Android/Linux. More like 90% Android, 10% Linux. It would just hurt their sales if someone associated good phones with neckbeards.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                i don t see the point of chrome OS. we cant do nothing there, its chrome nothing more
                Stick Crouton on it and add Ubuntu or Debian and you've got a cheap, full-featured Linux laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  you don't need to give credit to Linux at all.
                  You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
                  So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                    You don't need to give credit for the kernel which is the most important and most complex piece of software? Note: There is no such thing as "Linux stuff", that's called GNU (or BSD userland or Android or whatever), Linux is the kernel only.
                    So why do we name our OS like the kernel on Desktop but like the userspace on mobile?
                    The Android VM is almost like a secondary OS on top of Linux and BSD userland. You target this and not native platform. They also want you to not think about the lower levels.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                      Eh, well... "Sailfish OS" is easy to say, while "Sailfish/Mer/GNU/Linux" is quite a mouthful; albeit the latter is certainly more informative. Though if there are no other flavours, then the distinction is rather useless, because everyone should already be aware what Sailfish OS is supposed to be made of. With the desktop (sort of ? Mer isn't a desktop framework, but I believe that it's important to count Mer users together with desktop users, as you can still run normal desktop distribution programs on Mer) distributions, there is no official name, and "GNU/Linux" is the only real thing we have to differentiate them from others (as "Linux" is just the name of the kernel).

Comment

Working...
                      X