Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Web Usage Almost Doubled, Now At ~2%?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Statcounter and all the similar sites with similar M.O.'s are biased in so many ways as to be practically entirely worthless.

What they do is they have a handful of business associates, and they measure pagehits on the servers of said business associates. There's an inherent sampling bias in their results, and then they also overrepresent USA/Europe and underrepresent poorer countries.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxee View Post
      Why do I have Android here:
      Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

but again not here:
      http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-DE-monthly-201302-201401
      Because you're using it wrong:
      Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

You have to deselect consoles and tablets first to get desktop statistics, otherwise you get Android results as well.

As for your other questions, limited sample size, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Because you're using it wrong:

You have to deselect consoles and tablets first to get desktop statistics, otherwise you get Android results as well.

As for your other questions, limited sample size, I guess?
        Limited sample size? With the US and Germany? Could be. But then a 0,15% drop doesn't indicate anything.

Comment

i like this!

the stupid title, chrome os and linux. linux foundation needs to force google to put linux name in this OS. fuck you google

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
            the stupid title, chrome os and linux. linux foundation needs to force google to put linux name in this OS. fuck you google
            Is ChromeOS actually Linux? Yes, it uses the Linux kernel but that's not what people refer to when they say Linux. By Linux they usually mean GNU/Linux and ChromeOS is not a GNU/Linux OS.

Comment

I think it is from people like me that have some super old Windows XP machine but now they are transitioning to Linux full time.

I think we will see the it trend continue as we get closer to XP getting shut off from security updates. Hopefully other companies trying that will see similar trends soon.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                I think it is from people like me that have some super old Windows XP machine but now they are transitioning to Linux full time.

I think we will see the it trend continue as we get closer to XP getting shut off from security updates. Hopefully other companies trying that will see similar trends soon.
                Indeed, XP EOL might be pushing some Linux installs, I had not thought of that.

Comment

Glad to see this happening.

GNU/Linux is completely usable in an office setting, which is why our company decided to use it instead of XP or other windows operating systems which would bog down the weak office pcs. Granted that there are minor issues here and there, but overall it's usable and that's what matters most.

Comment

Yes you could say calling "Linux" GNU/Linux is not a thing, because the name was good enough and GNU stands for free software which many people dont care even maybe they belive in the idea behind the words, at least to a wide degree, but dont like maybe how rms talks or something.

But, the suggestion was never call it Freesoftware Linux, but GNU/Linux what describes that Linux is only one part of GNU, if you really think the GNU userspace is not worth to mention you could call it at least LINUX/gnu or something like that.

If you really dont care at all, there is no real way to make articles like that, that make sense, if you think Linux is the only interesting part of course you have to count in Android too. Then you have shurly 70% Linux Market dominance.

I think its interesting to track both numbers. But at least if you want do seperate Android and GNU/Linux call it that way else nobody understands your article and it makes no Sense

<- Michael

EDIT: but most likely you hope to start many different flamewars with such articles anyway so go ahead, devide and conquer!

I mean come on such Troll passages in the article that make no sense at all in such a article:

"Do you think it's due to Ubuntu's presence? "
                    Last edited by blackiwid; 20 February 2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Canonical do silent work here. Because 'just because' Ubuntu shops are in different part of the world, would not make us underestimate its influence, right?
                      Valve do loud PR work right now. (And some really heavy lifting behind the scenes) Also awesome. I can now run only Linux. (EU4/CKII/some indie sute me fine. Not much $ anyway :P )
                      And Google pull off silent work IN THE FREAKING USA. Like in selling well above avrg for the industry, and above point of decline. (But advertising it too much would make people compare it to Android witch skyrocketed in usage, something Chrome OS can not hope to achieve for years to come)

So all the factors counts.

Ofc. it would be nice to know how this particular stat counter is biased. Too much USA? Too little china/india? Not enough mobile? Etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X