Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DMA-BUF Cross-Device Synchronization Still Baking

Phoronix: DMA-BUF Cross-Device Synchronization Still Baking

One of the features that multi-GPU (Optimus/PRIME) owners and other DMA_BUF-using Linux users have been waiting on is cross-device synchronization support. Patches are still flowing for this missing feature and with some luck maybe we will finally see it ready for the Linux 3.15 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait for this to be implemented. I am sick of tearing with DRI_PRIME.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      I can't wait for this to be implemented. I am sick of tearing with DRI_PRIME.
      Even if the support is merged (and the patches on the mailing list lack yet the patches to implement it for the intel, radeon and nouveau drivers),
      there will still be glitches with X DRI2, because when DRI_PRIME is set, it disables vsync.

Comment

Originally posted by mannerov View Post
        Even if the support is merged (and the patches on the mailing list lack yet the patches to implement it for the intel, radeon and nouveau drivers),
        there will still be glitches with X DRI2, because when DRI_PRIME is set, it disables vsync.
        I wanted to say tearings, not glitches (with the patches, there shouldn't be any glitches)

Comment

That sucks. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait for Wayland. Hopefully Wayland will be tear free wether with PRIME or not.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
            That sucks. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait for Wayland. Hopefully Wayland will be tear free wether with PRIME or not.
            He said X DRI2 had tearing. DRI3 -might- not. I can't get a solid yes or no from googling.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              He said X DRI2 had tearing. DRI3 -might- not. I can't get a solid yes or no from googling.
              Depends how DRI_PRIME is implemented for DRI3.
              For the moment it hasn't been implemented.

But now I think of it, the patches might get rid of tearings with DRI2 with an X compositor doing full screen refreshes synced with vsync.

Comment

I wanted to say tearings, not glitches (with the patches, there shouldn't be any glitches)
                What's the difference?

Comment

Hello,
                  Is there any progress on this?
                  I have seen virtually nothing on the mailing list.

Comment

There's still discussions on the best way to handle issues with one gpu to not crash the other one.

Comment

Working...
                    X