Kdbus Will Likely Be Merged Into The Kernel This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    What's this FreeBSD IPC system you are talking about? FreeBSD also uses a monolithic kernel.
    my bad, thanks on correcting me. i always mix net/freebsd since i don't use either. again, thanks on noting it. i would gladly edit my mistake if that would be possible

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
      saying kdbus is cancer is equal to saying FreeBSD... are cancer, since they use in kernel IPC that is more evolved than fifo...
      I am not saying that any modern IPC is cancer, I'm saying that dbus (and kdbus) is cancer

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Think if they used JSON or Google's Protocol Buffers or Apache Thrift (developed by Facebook) instead?
        These are cancer too

Doesn't Plan 9 from Bell Labs have any IPC system?
        Considereding who is behind Plan 9, its probably good.
        they use CSP and the 9p

man.cat-v.org/plan_9/2/9p

but I like the mach IPC and erlang-style communication (actor model) more

Comment

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
          I am not saying that any modern IPC is cancer, I'm saying that dbus (and kdbus) is cancer
          dbus is cancer? i can understand how some people see Lennart in project and criticize it, but how in the world would dbus be classified as cancer? or better question, which IPC is not cancer by your standards?
          Last edited by justmy2cents; 13 February 2014, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
            dbus is cancer? i can understand how some people see Lennart in project and criticize it, but how in the world would dbus be classified as cancer? or better question, which IPC is not cancer by your standards?
            An idiot issues a shitty throw-away term about kdbus and the people wonder why he said so - flash news - because annabel is an idiot, like those idiots who still like X.org and hence believe Wayland is a cancer.

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
              Goddamn it! Not more cancer from Poettering. No, just no!
              Avahi, Pulse, Systemd and now this crap.
              And worst of all he was working hand in hand with Greg Kroah-Hartman, the most destructive force in the Linux kernel ecosystem. We're doomed! Doomed I say!

Wait, that doesn't hear like something Greg does! Aah, yes, you're just a Luddite that doesn't want his world changed. Don't like it? Don't use it. But you may as well install Linux 2.0 and stay in the 90's, as it's clearly where you want to be.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                An idiot issues a shitty throw-away term about kdbus and the people wonder why he said so - flash news - because annabel is an idiot, like those idiots who still like X.org and hence believe Wayland is a cancer.
                Indeed. I'm really tired of these people whining about projects adopting new stuff they don't agree with.

You see projects like: the Kernel, Gnome, KDE, Red Hat, Suse, Arch, Debian, etc. Adopt systemd and talk about using new features like cgroups and kdbus. These huge projects/companies are not making changes just for the sake of trolling their users. There is obviously something of value there and if some people don't see it that is their problem.

I don't understand how someone can look at the list of hugely respected people, projects, and companies picking up these new systems and say "X is garbage and people who want it are idiots".

Comment

Originally posted by atari314
                  Goddamn it! Not more cancer from Poettering. No, just no!
                  Avahi, Pulse, Systemd and now this crap.
                  Bit of a newby here. What is so bad about any of those?

Comment

Think if they used Intents, the IPC system from Android.

Isn't D-Bus a serialized data format?
                    Think if they used JSON or Google's Protocol Buffers or Apache Thrift (developed by Facebook) instead?

Doesn't Plan 9 from Bell Labs have any IPC system?
                    Considereding who is behind Plan 9, its probably good.
                    watch the presentation, you'll know why they didn't use intents (they don't work with large data transfers, can't do 0-copy, among other things), you'll also get to know that the part of kdbus that's in the kernel doesn't understand the blobs it moves around, you can create implementation that uses any serialized data format you want. Current kdbus uses binary format for efficiency/speed reasons. I know nothing about Plan 9 IPCs

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
                      Bit of a newby here. What is so bad about any of those?
                      avahi is implementation of Apple protocol, Bonjour, and while it is nice, it is a security nightmare

early implementations of Pulseaudio were very, very, very buggy, to the point that people were considering piping to /dev/dsp was actually an improvement

systemd is just "Waah, waah, my world is changing and I don't like it! I don't want to learn new stuff that will make my life easier in the medium to long term!"

Comment

Working...
                      X