Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs In 2014: RAID5/RAID6, Data Deduplication

Phoronix: Btrfs In 2014: RAID5/RAID6, Data Deduplication

Samsung's F2FS isn't the only Linux file-system receiving new features but the Btrfs developers are currently baking some new treats of their own...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Btrfs In 2014: RAID5/RAID6, Data Deduplication

Samsung's F2FS isn't the only Linux file-system receiving new features but the Btrfs developers are currently baking some new treats of their own...
    Data dedup could be really nice especially for SSDs, where space is still expensive. Furthermore, is might come very handy for users with chroot environments (with similar distributions) stored on btrfs.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        img
        well although I must admit I'd like to see raid 5, I'm already using btrfs in my personal server, so they do deliver, if only partially.

Comment

LOL agree
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Well, they do say good things come to those who wait. I must therefore conclude that the above is a good thing.

Comment

It would be pretty interesting to see some benchmarks of btrfs+bcache with various SSD optimizations enabled. Apparently the default behaviour is that btrfs detects the SSD and enables them, but bcache then sends sequential writes straight to the spinning rust. [1]

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bcache/msg02042.html

Comment

Who in their right mind use RAID5? I think it is better if they focus on RAID6 and shoot for triple-parity RAID instead.

Comment

Working...
                X