KDBUS & Systemd Now Yields A Working System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I honesty doubt you could stop someone even with a BSD license from using it under the PD even if you wanted to.
    Although there are no practical differences on usage, PD means you don't need to put the copyright, AFAIK. That would be the only difference, I believe.

And as the guy already answered, his point is not to restrict anyone from making any kind of use of the code.

Comment

• My understanding of why the PD is dangerous is because all unlicensed code in the US falls under PD by default,
      so there is no way of really knowing if that code is PD or some crazy predatory license that is going to financially ruin you.

Company's generally see PD as a risky move and just avoid it period. Granted sqlite is probably safe, doesn't change the fact that
      from what I was told when I requested permission I was told that some company's do have a no PD policy, and my request is fairly common.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester View Post
        But apparently that makes me the anti-christ!!!!!
        I have no problem with the BSD license, nor PD, nor GPL, nor proprietary or any other license. It's your code, do with it with what you wish. They all have their place and it is up to the individual to decide what they wish to do with it and how it is handled. Personally I prefer the BSD/PD route for my code but that is just because I feel if anyone can benefit from it, especially the end user, then I have made a contribution where it matters the most.

Comment

My understanding of why the PD is dangerous is because all unlicensed code in the US falls under PD by default,
          so there is no way of really knowing if that code is PD or some crazy predatory license that is going to financially ruin you.

Company's generally see PD as a risky move and just avoid it period. Granted sqlite is probably safe, doesn't change the fact that
          from what I was told when I requested permission I was told that some company's do have a no PD policy, and my request is fairly common.
          I can't blame you for wanting to cover your ass. If it is a concern for you, then do it.

Comment

I have no problem with the BSD license, nor PD, nor GPL, nor proprietary or any other license. It's your code, do with it with what you wish. They all have their place and it is up to the individual to decide what they wish to do with it and how it is handled. Personally I prefer the BSD/PD route for my code but that is just because I feel if anyone can benefit from it, especially the end user, then I have made a contribution where it matters the most.
            Hell must have just frozen over, as some one finally shares my same view!!!!! This is what I have been trying to get people to understand for DAYS!!!!! Thank you

Comment

Hell must have just frozen over, as some one finally shares my same view!!!!! This is what I have been trying to get people to understand for DAYS!!!!! Thank you
              Lol, preaching to the choir. I know I have code has been used under pretty much every situation (sometimes even get a thank you email) proprietary and open.

My philosophy is:

"Wrote some cool code. If you can use it, go for it. If it contributed to the end user's experience in a positive way, mission accomplished."

I'm more concerned to the end user than the ideology and politics of who owns what. My ideal license would be "hey just fire me off an email letting me know you are using the code so I know it helped out others".

Comment

I'm more concerned to the end user than the ideology and politics of who owns what. My ideal license would be "hey just fire me off an email letting me know you are using the code so I know it helped out others".
                You know you could make a custom license that only asks for that, do you? Like the postal-ware, people asking for a postal as only condition to use the software.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
                  You know you could make a custom license that only asks for that, do you? Like the postal-ware, people asking for a postal as only condition to use the software.
                  Ya, I'm aware of post-ware. I wouldn't make it a requirement to use the code, just a request. It would read as this.

Deanjo license:

Use it as anyway you see fit but dropping me an email to let me know it was useful to you would be nice

[email protected]

Comment

Ya, I'm aware of post-ware. I wouldn't make it a requirement to use the code, just a request. It would read as this.
                    At one time I would allow users to pick there own license. But it generated to much confusion and I got bombarded
                    with constant e-mails asking for clarification.

I also tried the "No License" approach but apparently that's not legally valid as all unlicensed code falls into the PD by default in the US
                    and that just generated more license related e-mail's.

The GPL in my opinion is to restrictive.

You know my view on PD, so now I just use the BSD.

Comment

• Originally posted by zester
                      You know my view on PD, so now I just use the BSD.
                      both are the same, and are dangerous. Just use GPL it's safer.

Comment

Working...
                      X