Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiser4 Is Now Available For The Linux 3.12 Kernel

Phoronix: Reiser4 Is Now Available For The Linux 3.12 Kernel

While we're mid-way through the Linux 3.13 kernel development cycle and the Linux 3.12 kernel has been out for almost two months, the Reiser4 file-system is finally available for this latest stable kernel release series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I could never understand this, is there any technical reason for not putting Reiser4 in the main? Or is just because of the person of its creator?

Comment

Originally posted by borsook View Post
      Or is just because of the person of its creator?
      this is precisely why
      I'm not sure why it hasn't been renamed yet.

Comment

I uaed Ext4 till there were some issues in some versions of it and i myself lost some data, gone to XFS and never look back.

No matter using Slackware or Linux Mint, XFS is my favorite...YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          this is precisely why
          Well, if that's the case, then it is really silly... I mean, it's a file system, code, its creator's crimes should not matter one bit. Pity is now there is real reason to cry over losing Rf4, but when it first appeared it was really revolutionary and beneficial compared to others.

Comment

this is precisely why
            solve the problem not the sympthom

Comment

XFS & F2FS for me

I'm also a happy XFS user even though Reiser4's tree balancing is technically and philosophically the best way to balance a tree.

I'm quite interested in F2FS's future since it tries to account for mechanical sympathy of NAND flash chips and it is designed and backed by Samsung.

Comment

this is precisely why
                Hans Reiser is why the FS wasn't included a long time ago. I'm not sure he has anything to do with it today, though.

For better or worse, the linux devs are concerned that any FS put into the kernel be well supported and have a clear future. That basically means they want a company to commit to supporting it, whether that's Red Hat, another distro, or somebody like Samsung. The problem is that all those companies already like filesystems of their own and don't really see what Reiser4 would give them, so it's not happening. I'm sure the history doesn't help, though.

Comment

It's not about the name. reiser3 is still in the kernel and has not been renamed.

reiser4 wasn't included for a variety of reasons. It was proposed and rejected and improved and proposed again and rejected again long before the murder.

After Reiser's conviction, his company Namesys went out of business. Since then, there hasn't been much progress about the file system. The few who spend time on it barely manage the porting to new kernels, but lack the manpower for substantial improvements.

So why would they merge a filesystem that's alpha- or maybe beta-quality, when there's no sign of improvement?

To be accepted by now, it'd need at least two things:
                  a) someone willing to invest the time to fix all the technical issues that caused the rejection
                  b) someone willing to maintain it

That won't be namesys, and none of the major distributions seem interested. Why would they, given the current alternatives?

Comment

Originally posted by HeavensRevenge View Post
                    I'm also a happy XFS user even though Reiser4's tree balancing is technically and philosophically the best way to balance a tree.

I'm quite interested in F2FS's future since it tries to account for mechanical sympathy of NAND flash chips and it is designed and backed by Samsung.
                    Ah yes, i only mentioned XFS and didn't talk about F2FS because myself don't Flash drives but all that i heard about F2FS is praise for it so, yes, if i used Flash, i would use that one.

But with HDDs, it's XFS or bust !

Comment

Working...
                    X