Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDISwrapper 1.59 Now Supports Modern Kernels

Phoronix: NDISwrapper 1.59 Now Supports Modern Kernels

With most WiFi adapters and other network hardware having native Linux drivers these days, there hasn't been much to report on with the NDISwrapper project in months -- the project that allows using Windows network drivers on Linux. Changing that is today's NDISwrapper 1.59 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does this still exist?

It never received support for Vista/NDIS6 drivers/

Comment

Unfortunately Linux Wifi drivers are often problematic. I had trouble with the 3 USB wireless hardware I bought? The first one stopped working for 2 months and I had to use the 3.0 LTS kernel during that time. The second one didn?t work at all with the kernel driver and I had to rebuild a modified version of the vendor?s driver for each kernel update. And the third one has an extremely bad and unstable ping (and spams dmesg) unless I disable power saving.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
        Why does this still exist?
        Why would it not? Just because you don't need it?

I just recently obtained two PCI wifi cards with a Marvell W8300 chipset. No Linux driver for this thing, there was one in development many years ago, but it didn't get finished and got removed from the kernel. Ndiswrapper to the rescue, an old machine of mine now has an internet connection.

Comment

You would think that it would be more useful to do the the opposite... ndis-reversewrapper.
          You know, now that its impossible to find a wifi card that doesn't work in Linux.

In fact, a lot of wifi cards now work in Linux that do not work AT ALL in wondoze.

Its kind of funny what happens when you become THE market leader....
          Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

The second link is really interesting... especially when you look at table 2, but being cognizant of the fact that "others" basically means flip phones and... desktop linux.
          .... a billion... is a big number, isn't it?
          Last edited by droidhacker; 29 November 2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
            Why would it not? Just because you don't need it?

I just recently obtained two PCI wifi cards with a Marvell W8300 chipset. No Linux driver for this thing, there was one in development many years ago, but it didn't get finished and got removed from the kernel. Ndiswrapper to the rescue, an old machine of mine now has an internet connection.
            I'm no stranger to ndiswrapper.

There was a time when the iwlwifi (yes Intel) driver was plagued by link speed issues over the n band. I has to use XP drivers in ndiswrapper to get decent wifi speed on Linux.

Ndiswrapper only makes sense these days if your product does not have Linux drivers and was old enough to have had XP drivers

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
              I'm no stranger to ndiswrapper.

There was a time when the iwlwifi (yes Intel) driver was plagued by link speed issues over the n band. I has to use XP drivers in ndiswrapper to get decent wifi speed on Linux.

Ndiswrapper only makes sense these days if your product does not have Linux drivers and was old enough to have had XP drivers
              Now only if ndiswrapper can work with Vista/Win7 drivers then it can be quite useful for new hardware that is either unstable on Linux or there's no Linux driver available.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                Unfortunately Linux Wifi drivers are often problematic.
                I like how certain manufacturers will provide drivers that work great but then the communitah re-writes them so they suck.

Comment

ndiswrapper

First off ndiswrapper is extremely important, and needs to be updated to support NDIS6. There is almost no excusable reason why it's even taken this long, it's not like NDIS6 hasn't been the standard NDIS for years.

Second it's always best to use the native drivers, which recently hasn't been a problem for the community. I unfortunately know this won't always be the state of affairs. First there was no drivers, and then there was solid wireless B drivers... then there was no wireless G drivers, then there was solid support again. This pattern repeated itself until today, where we have good wireless N drivers. Just wait though, a new standard comes out along with new reference chips. Then we'll be screwed again, and we need to have a good ndiswrapper in reserve.

So ndiswrapper asshats, get your asses together and support NDIS6. Excuse time was over a couple years ago, this is ridiculous.

Comment

Working...
                  X