Systemd's Networkd Now Supports Bridging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
    I have a proposal. From now on, every time somebody says "you can use udev without systemd", he will have to also illustrate the exact steps required to actually make use of udev without systemd. Bonus points if he adds the official documentation explaining how to do so. Double bonus points if he points to documentation identifying each systemd release where this process was changed in an incompatible way. Deal?

LFS developers chose to write custom makefile because they didn't want to build dependencies needed to build basic systemd components just to rip them off later. udevd is being started from standard sysvinit script at boot and no one has yet reported a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by peppepz View Post
      I have a proposal. From now on, every time somebody says "you can use udev without systemd", he will have to also illustrate the exact steps required to actually make use of udev without systemd. Bonus points if he adds the official documentation explaining how to do so. Double bonus points if he points to documentation identifying each systemd release where this process was changed in an incompatible way. Deal?
      I have a better deal: Now that you have been showed how to do this the LFS way, and I'll show you one more way just for kicks, you'll stop spreading FUD about udev, and correct others who do. Deal?

So one way (maybe the cleanest), is to simply make your own Makefile to build precisely what you want. This is entirely straight-forward, especially now that someone linked to the LFS one.

However, if you want something much (much) simpler, and don't care about philosophical purity (the result will be precisely the same). Then all you have to do is to build all of systemd and either package/install everything or just package/install udev. Whether or not systemd is installed on your system is of course irrelevant as long as you don't actually boot with it, just keep sysvinit installed as well and you'll be fine.

We do something like this to generate (systemd-less) initramfs' in Arch Linux, this shows how to pick the relevant parts to just get udev in the initramfs: https://projects.archlinux.org/svnto...ckages/systemd

Comment

Working...
      X