No announcement yet.

The Gambas Project: It's Like Visual Basic On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gambas project has been around for a while. Although I haven't tried it myself, as far as frameworks go, it's astounding the amount of things supported by it. Lots of love have gone into it. I still find people fond of VB for programming nowadays, so this is a good environment for them to make the jump. Choice is great.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      Neat, I'll check this out sometime. I always heard there was nothing like visual basic but I guess I have to watch what I believe.

You mean that sucks that much ?
      (not only VB, but all sorts of Basic)

Originally posted by Djikstra (YES THE REAL ONE)
      It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Now, would you like to tell us which projects you work on that are not "worthless"? If you had actually looked into the project you would know why it was developed:This is only one of the reasons, but I guess you didn't even look at their website. Now tell us again why it is worthless, since it clearly solves a problem.
        So what problem does it solve again? I haven't heard any clear reason, just blabber about "fun".
        Virtual machines etc etc have been around and this doesn't solve any problem either, yet another solution just like those worthless 1000 Linux distros.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
          So what problem does it solve again? I haven't heard any clear reason, just blabber about "fun".
          It's nice to work with it. It's good for people who were working with VB before. Also read the FAQ:
          I want a simple but powerful language, not necessarily intended for professionals or nerds.
          But don't like it? Then don't use it! Nobody is forcing you...

just like those worthless 1000 Linux distros.
          Good trolling. Go annoy some other people...

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
            It's nice to work with it.
            There's lots of solutions nice to work with - so it doesn't solve any problem others haven't solved.
            Which leaves the only reason - to give people to opportunity to do Visual Basic on Linux - which is worthless and stupid as I said in the first post.

Comment

Why is the use of this hard for people to figure out??

Back in year 10 (I was 15 I think) my school taught Visual Basic in the IT classes. I liked computers, I was interested in programming, and I had much to learn.

Around that time I also had a Linux phase (where I wanted to use it for everything) and I actually found Gambas then. I had a huge amount of fun using it with my then favorite OS (Ubuntu, when it had Gnome 2) and it really did help inspire me to take up software engineering (seriously, not all kids want to just experiment in a text editor and a command line).

Now my course has us learning Java and C++ (Eclipse/Windows/Linux for Java and Linux/GCC with C++) and I love it. But to not be able to experiment, and try basic programming without getting dead bored with command line based books/lessons on C/C++ that are boring as hell to a young kid I would probably have taken up Engineering instead.

Comment

not to mention the Linux folks aren't fond of Microsoft solutions.
                That's not what I have seen on places like reddit and other places. A lot of people state they "use" Linux yet spend 99% of their time on Windows. I am of the opinion most only have Linux installed for bragging rights; It's disgusting. Use it or lose it I say, you can't use both as Windows constantly locks you in via Software and quashes your uptake of Linux. Not to mention that in using Microsoft products, you are funding their War against Open Source.

It's much better if people would choose one and move on with their life. I learned this the hard way by using Windows for 15 years, only fully ending my dependence on Windows resolved the issue of lock-ins.

Comment

There's lots of solutions nice to work with - so it doesn't solve any problem others haven't solved.
                  So I guess you are also against having several DEs or WMs, since they all are basically doing the same. Don't even think about having more than one browser, file manager, text editor ... . Or can you tell me a problem that Firefox solves that wasn't solved by other browsers before? Or Chrome? Maybe tell us what Vi does that Emacs does not?
                  Which leaves the only reason - to give people to opportunity to do Visual Basic on Linux - which is worthless and stupid as I said in the first post.
                  Nope, it is still not compatible with VB, but maybe you would have known that if you had informed yourself before forming an opinion, but maybe I am asking for too much here.

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
                    Back in year 10 (I was 15 I think) my school taught Visual Basic in the IT classes.
                    That sounds like a good school.

My only exposure to VB was in my free time with a copy I'd 'acquired', and was crucial to keeping me interested in programming.

In school we only learned to use Microsoft Office. I dread to think what British schools now teach as ICT, probably 'effective social network use' and how to compose tweets with a minimum number of vowels.

Comment

What problem does it solve?
                      Create 100% functional guis in a matter of seconds.
                      Working with multiform applications is just a breeze.

Gambas is the best RAD on linux today, really.

Check it out, then speak.

Comment

Working...
                      X